NVIDIA drivers keep crashing on VN7-591G

Options
webik150
webik150 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hey. So... My drivers keep crashing. I don't know why. I've tried many things, so I'll try to write everything down.

First, I wanted to get support directly from NVidia, but they don't have support page for notebooks.... Also, it's weekend so I can't contact Acer directly.

The Problem:

1. Sometimes (not always, but some days it's more frequent than others), my NVIDIA drivers crash, with the message "Nvidia Kernel Mode Driver has stopped responding and has recovered". It happens when playing games, and when using programs like Unity3D or photoshop (well, the ones running on the GPU). What's funny is, that it only crashes with certain games. Like... it crashes with Planetary annihilation and The Sims 4, but doesn't with FTL, Elite Dangerous or Minecraft.
    It can get really annoying because I can't work properly with unity crashing all the time.
    Also, I've found out, that restarting the computer seems to postpone the crash for few minutes/hours, depending on what program/game I use/play.

What I've tried:

1. Using beta drivers
  2. reinstalling drivers (several times), both directly and through GeForce Experience
  3. Updating to Win10 (which I have now)

Nothing helped.

I'm trying old drivers as of now, but I think it won't do anything.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Apparently, NVIDIA doesn't have any older drivers Smiley Sad

Answers

• seka
    seka Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

What number of driver do you have? The latest? nVidia 358.50 mybe? I had the same problem; couldn't run any games I could before. Had the same problem "kernel sth"Smiley Happy

I just manually downloaded previous driver from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Choose your specs and download the one before last and it should work. It worked for me.

Hope it helps!

RS

• webik150
    webik150 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Yeah, I've downgraded to 355.98, and it got better. However, I still get crashes, if I leave the laptop idle for 10-20mins, or when I wake it up from sleep.

• seka
    seka Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Cannot help you there. Hope it's nothing wrong with the card.

Maybe it's overheating? Try googling for similar problems and see where it leads you.

Or maybe uninstall the driver and fresh install them. Or a clean install of windows.

Otherwise it's best to contact your Acer Servis provider.

RS