My screen keeps on flickering! Acer V3 - 551G - X419

asmjr
asmjr Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi I have a V3-551G-X419 with AMD A-10 processor and AMD RADEON HD76660G+7607M W/2GB Dedicated VRAM.

my problem is it keeps on flickering.  it used to only flicker when it was on battery mode and then it would stop when i plugged it in, now it won't stop flickering and its really hard to keep on working with this laptop because of it.  haven't tried using an external monitor on it but when i use team viewer and control the computer from my tablet, there's no flickering.

in addition, before all the constant flickering, the monitor seemed to darken a little and it seemed that part of the monitor had a busted light now with all the flickering, the busted side is gone and it brightness of the monitor is back but it keeps on flickering.

any ideas please

thanks.

Answers

• krebbin
    krebbin Member Posts: 9 New User

Normally this would be either a loose cable at the screen end connector, same cable but loose on motherboard or cable wearing due to abrasive damage near the hinges.

However, I have been looking at a V5 571. The build is so light/cheap that distorting the screen is easy to do even if you're careful. This has led to some users having cracked screens, broken hinges and dodgy circuit boards.

This Acer upon disassembly of the screen (which is also poorly designed, with the whole circuitry arrayed along the bottom where the most stress is) just got worse and worse. I can get it to display properly if I squeeze the bezel at the bottom, then it flickers and fogs up.

The keyboard packed up while I was doing this, never had that happen before and I've been repairing laptops since they came out.

More people are reporting these problems. Acre say its misuse. I say that's rubbish! Take 'em to court if you have to, but get a proper technicians report first.

• asmjr
    asmjr Member Posts: 2 New User

thanks, so that means there's no other solution than brigning it to the shop?

is there a way to disable the flickering thru adjustments via refresh rate?

• krebbin
    krebbin Member Posts: 9 New User

Hiya, changing values is usually an automatic process for graphics drivers.

If the problem is not connectivity, then playing with refresh etc may reduce the symptoms. Can't hurt to try!

If its a fast "oscillating" type flicker then it could be due to interference from other devices. That's easy to test, just take it into another room and if the problem goes away you've solved it.

You can also try tap testing (very technical!) - just gently tap with a finger around the back of the screen to see if it either stops or gets worse. Cheers, col.