My display intermittently shuts off, computer still running, have to do hard shutdown Acer Aspire V3

Options
kuzano
kuzano Member Posts: 3 New User

Acer Aspire V3 731 intermittent display shut down, causing me to do a hard shut down. Display comes back on reboot.

I have run memory and gpu tests showing good results.

Thinking I need to change allocated share of RAM in BIOS up from 128. Cannot access that field. Cannot find internet solution to get to that field. Thinking perhaps setting it to 256 or 512. Do not game on this computer. Do not do heavy post processing of images. Do multi task.

Is this intermittent shutdown of the display a known issue?

Assistance appreciated.

Lars

Answers

• kuzano
    Options

I should have mentioned. This is not a problem with sleep or hibernate, or time out on monitor. It shuts down in the middle of any task. No pattern of symptoms to occurance.

Lars

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Have you tried moving the lid back and forth when this happens? Every time I've seen this, it's been a connectivity issue.

It would be nice if you could connect a external monitor to see if you have this problem on it too.

• kuzano
    Options

Thank you for your suggestion. It seems I would have naturally tried the moving the monitor, but I can't honestly say I recall doing that. I do understand your comment on connectivity.

I did dig out my old LCD monitor and will hook it up when the screen goes dark again. I fully expect to see the laptop light up the external monitor, because I know the computer is still running by fan sound and lights. But if it doesn't, then I think the graphics hardware is suspect.

Thanks again.

Lars