My V5-573PG-9610 sits w black screen and blinks for 10-30 minutes before booting up.

CDBco
CDBco Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

About a month ago my aspire laptop started taking a few minutes to start up    I push the power button and the screen stays black but the backlit keyboard lights up and then after a short while I get a light gray flush every second or so for 10 minutes sometimes as long as 20 or 30 minutes and then eventually  it turns on. 

My computer repair shop studied it for a while when it was a new problem and just three or four minutes of blinking and I was OK with living with that they said it might be something to do with the motherboard but they could not figure out why it was happening or what to do about it and this is a very highly rated computer shop  The Computer Cellar  in Durham NC.  

At this point it takes 20 minutes to turn on and sometimes longer every single time,  which I am really not OK with.  Any tips or suggestions would be great.  

Michael

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I don't know if you're using Windows 10.

The problem that you're having is not normal.

I would backup my important personal files and then reset the computer to factory condition to help you rule out software problem.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDY5MDczNzc5L3NpZC9fOVV0YTJXbQ%3D%3D

If you're using Windows 10, there's a known compatibility issue with Windows 10 and some versions of the Intel Management Engine Interface driver.....if you have Haswell-ULT.  And you have Haswell-ULT i7-4500U.  As a workaround, most people use the Windows 8.1 Intel Management Engine Interface driver.  As of 7/20/2016, Microsoft still has not released the updated Windows 10 Intel Management Engine Interface driver through Windows Update.  I was able to grab the updated Intel MEI driver off of Intel's website, but Intel has subsequently pulled it.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

So if you reset the computer to factory condition (Windows 8.1) and you still have the problem, then it's possibly/probably hardware.

Ideally, you would use your Windows 8.1 USB factory default recovery drive to reset the computer.

Your computer shop can help you wipe the drive with "diskpart clean" and use your USB factory recovery drive to restore your PC to factory condition.  But you can always try ALT-F10 method too.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDY5MDczNzc5L3NpZC9fOVV0YTJXbQ%3D%3D

You can also purchase your Windows 8.1 recovery media from Acer.

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

Edit: You can also check Acer downloads for any updates.  However, if your computer is not stable, it might be too risky to update BIOS. Maybe your computer shop can help you with that.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Edit2:  You could go in to BIOS settings and load BIOS defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10).

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • CDBco
    CDBco Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for your thoughtful response - the problem did start before I had windows ten installed - and has progressed steadily despite the ministrations of the computer guys - Bios or motherboard seem to be the common suggestions. I have tried never turning it off but it still shuts itself down in my back pack.  

Thanks again for respomting. 

M

• JordanB

Ok.

I may not completely understand the problem.  I would never use the power button to shut the computer off.  The power button will either put the computer in to hibernation or sleep.  

If you're using the power button to shut the computer off.......stop doing that. Smiley Happy

I would never leave the computer turned on if I put it in a backpack.  I would shut it down via Windows.

Let us know if resetting your computer to factory condition resolves the problem.

Good luck.

• JordanB

I did search the forum and see there are several topics discussing the old BIOS which may be the cause of your problem.

I'm hesitant to tell you to update it although it will probably solve the problem.  Maybe if you temporarily went back to Windows 8, your computer would be stable enough to try to update BIOS?  I'm just not sure.

Also, the act of updating the BIOS gave some people problems too.  

Sounds like a good job for the computer shop.  Smiley Happy

• Levitta
    Levitta Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same problem as the original question.  I don't shut the laptop off with the power button so I'm not sure why there is a blank screen and it takes 10 to 30 minutes to come on.  Did anyone figure out a solution? I've used this laptop probably 10 times since I purchased it in July