My Laptop regularly freezes and is very slow!

Aardwerk_2
Aardwerk_2 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I have a laptop V3-371 which worked perfectly until last week. After booting my machine regurlarly becomes very slow and freezes. After a hard reset I experienced the same problem over and over again. I then reinstalled the OS in safemode with a full erase of all data. This seems to work out for a while but soon I got the same issues again as mentioned before.

Is it a hardware problem (SSD drive Or Ram?) I've done all the tests within MS like Ram test, Window Defender and other problem checks. All seems Ok. But unfortunately it is not. 

Anyone an idea what causes this problem?

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

It could be a bad hard drive; this is usually the case when the system lags or freezes during use, especially if you have restored the system back to factory configurations and it still does the same. We would recommend the system be serviced. Please contact your local Acer service from the information posted at: http://www.acer.com/ac/nl/NL/content/service-contact.

• Aardwerk_2
    Aardwerk_2 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you Acer_Mary for your reply.

That's what I thought as well but then a reseller noticed me that a SSD drive (M2 128GB sata) hardly ever gets broken. And my machine is just two years old (my guatantee termin is since two months over unfortunately). So how could I test the harddrive best to check whether this is the problem? My machine still freezes shortly after booting without exception. I have cloned the SSD to a USB HDD with Clonezilla and then tried to boot it from there so I could find out whether this externeal HD does or does not have the same issue. But infortunately the Aspire won't start from the external clone. I changed the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy (this worked for the Clonezilla USB boot in order to clone the SSD) but this somehow doesn't work for the clone disk.

Bringing it to a Acer service is also an option but due to the passed guarantee period this costs me an unknown amount of money. If possible I would try something by myself first.

Thanks, Rob

• Hi,

If you don't have to reinstall many programs and a small amount of data stored in your laptop, you could try a clean install after backup everything to an external hard drive, download necessary drivers and keep them stored in the separate hard drive as well.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/