My Aspire V5-122p brightness control stopped functioning -

Options
MoonWave
MoonWave Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi everyone, my Aspire V5-122p-0637 notebook brightness control stopped functioning - with the Fn key and also in settings - any ideas on how to change this? It happened a few times before and was fine after I restarted the computer, but now that does not work. The screen is dim and slightly flickers brighter and dimmer, but no possibility to manually adjust it. I am not extremely techinical type person, but can follow somewhat technical instructions if need be. Thanks for any advice!!!

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

First you can re-install Launch Manager software like this (Acer's answer).

France
  • MoonWave
    Options

Hi there, and thanks so much for your quick response, I really appreciate it. Well I did as you instructed, removing and then reinstalling the Launch Manager, but nothing really changed. Basically it does not seem to be a "hot key" issue, because all the other hot keys function normally (Fn combined with anything) aside from the brightness. When I hit the Fn key with either direction of the brightness function, nothing at all happens. When I open up the "settings" menu, I can manually move the brightness bar up and down, but there is not reacion at all on the screen - it simply stays the same dull level no matter what the adjustment. This is the same when I try to adjust the brightness bar in the control panel. I am really confused as this was a very sudden thing, only a couple days ago. I have had the computer for 1.5 years. At one point the touch screen stopped functioning, but lucky enough I got the LED replaced as it was still under warranty (about 6 months ago). Now it is not under warranty and I am totally confused what is causing this. Any further suggestions are welcome, thanks so much.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

1- Move slowly your screen from the open position to 45° and reverse. Look at if the display change.

2- Connect your laptop to an external monitor or LCD TV in using the VGA or HDMI port. Have you the same issue?

[Fn]+[F5] - Display toggle: Switches display output between the display screen, external monitor (if connected)

and both.

France
  • MoonWave
    Options

hi Laurent,

Thanks so much for your answers and willingness to assist me with this problem. OK well I have moved the screen between the open position to 45 degrees and all other angles and there is absolutely no change in the screen at all. It is still completely dimmed out and in daylight I can barely even see it (I am squinting to write this right now). The only thing that makes a slight difference is when the computer is plugged in it seems marginally brighter, but still completely insufficient and I have no ability to control the brightness at all. I would be happy to try what you mentioned about hooking the computer up to an external monitor, but I am actually traveling now, and it would be very difficult, I will be home in New York in about 10 days and then maybe can figure that out. As of now I am just hoping there can be another solution or explanation for why this is happening. I honestly just had the LED screen replaced about 6 months ago at the end of my warranty due to malfunction of the touch screen functionality. Now the touch screen is fine but the brightness and brightness control is lost. Any other ideas to help with this would be most welcome! Have a nice day today Smiley Happy

• hughbuntu
    hughbuntu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I'm having this same problem. While a solution is posted elsewhere for machines with Intel processors, my 122P has an AMD chipset, so that solution won't work (install new Intel chipset driver).

In regards to all the questions above:

* It's not a hardware problem. If I boot and hit F2, the bios screen comes up at full brightness

* as soon as I boot into WIndoZe, it's back to dim-only land.

* the slider on the power dialog doesn't change brightness

* the function keys move the slider, but don't change brightness

Rebooting, power cycling, etc., don't work.

The problem started after installing Windoze 8.1 updates last night.

Aieee!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Hugh Buntu