My Aspire V3 772G overheats while playing games...

Options
bankoni
bankoni Member Posts: 1 New User

I've been trying to play games on Steam which I've done for a while now, but all of a sudden my computer has started to overheat and crash within 30 minutes. After this happened, I tested and realized that my GPU was running at around 85-90 degrees after 15 minutes of game play, and about 60 degrees while not in game. I'm just not sure why this is happening all of a sudden. Could a cooling fan have broken? Thank you.

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

If you play other games that are not Steam games, do you have the same problem?

How are you determining the temperature of the GPU? 

Do you feel air coming out of the system or can you hear the fan? You may try carefully blowing the system out with some compressed air, as dust buildup can cause heating issues. 

The system is designed to shut down if it reaches temperatures outside of the normal operating range. When you say the computer crashes, can you please elaborate? Does it shut down, give an error, or what?  

• vasco_tech88
    vasco_tech88 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options

My laptop was running about 88-90'C while playing Assassins Creed 3 but never turned off.

Things that may help:

-Clean the laptop (see below)

-Life the laptop using some small blocks (like lego blocks) up to 2-3cm from the table

-Get a good cooling pad (not a bad one, but one with good airflow: >50CFM)

I did all the above and now it is running about 70-80'C. Reducing game graphics (like shadows and anti-aliasing) also helped

---

You can buy compressed air cans in common computer or electronic stores. U can also use a home air compressor but you have to be caureful to not danify the laptop.

For common cleaning (about every 1-2 months):

-Turn off the laptop

-Blow compressed air from the side/back opening (in reverse direction)

-Blow compressed air from the fan entrance (in normal direction)

-Repeat as much as needed

-Remove HDD/memory cover and blow air from there

For bigger cleaning (about every year):

-Find someone with knowledge or get the proper tools and good youtube videos

-Open your laptop (this will void your warranty)

-Blow compressed air to the parts (not very strong air flow)

NOTE: If needed, hold the CPU fan with a clip, in case the air flow is too strong

• vasco_tech88
    vasco_tech88 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options

In order to avoid overheating of the laptop, i got a cooling pad (Cooler Master Notepal XL) and I am very happy with the results:

GAME: Assassins Creed III

SETTINGS: 1920x1080 (on dual external screens), Texture quality (Max), Shadows (Min), Anti-aliasing (Min)

BEFORE: CPU ~88-90'C, GPU: ~70'C

AFTER: CPU: ~70-75'C, GPU: ~60'C