Loud buzzing noise VN7-791G [+ audio clip]

GXR
GXR Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

For the past couple weeks I've been having trouble with a very loud staticky buzzing noise coming from the bottom left corner of my Aspire VN7-791G (left of the touch pad below the keyboard) when the machine is under load (working in game engines and playing games, mainly). I've had this laptop for a little over a year and never had this issue before. On the software side everything seems fine, I haven't noticed FPS drops or freezes/lockups or anything of the sorts. I do get an occasional blue screen but those are very uncommon after all the driver and BIOS updates (power state failure or something like that).

The buzzing seems to get louder depending on the work load. If I close all active programs the noise tends to still stay constant for couple few minutes, then it dies down gradually until it's silent completely.

I tried recording the sound, and when I listen through headphones it sounds a lot like the real thing (just not as loud):  http://vocaroo.com/i/s1cZvjzHgHs5

Also: I haven't tried replicating this yet but earlier I was running a game on battery battery power by accident. The machine was completely silent. After a while I got a message saying battery was low, so I plugged in the charger and...instantly heard the buzzing at maximum loudness (not a gradual increase like normal). Could it have something to do with power saving settings maybe? Or more likely to be a hardware thing?

Thanks

Best Answer

• GXR
    Answer ✓

So, I have some good news... Smiley Happy

In a last attempt effort I decided to open up my laptop and remove the front left speaker completely, because I was almost certain that's where the sound was coming from. I disconnected it from the MoBo, unscrewed it and removed it from the chassis. I've been testing the entire day and I can confirm the buzzing is now GONE!!!

It's a bit of a hacky solution as I now only have 3 speakers instead of 4, but I'm just happy I'm able to use this thing in the workplace again. Marking this as solved.

Answers

• Hello,

Does this noise come from the fan(s)? That sounds like a fan at full speed according your description.

France
  • GXR

Hi, I just tried manually setting the speed of both the CPU and GPU fans to run at maximum speed (using RW everything). All I heard was air, no buzzing. So at the moment I don't think it's the fans that are making the noise unless there's something I'm missing.

The noise seems to be coming from either the battery or the front left speaker based on where I'm hearing it. Unless there's something else located there? To be clear, the noise is coming from the red area on this pic:

laptop noise.png

Update: I just tried replicating the charger thing and the buzzing indeed only happens when the laptop is plugged in. I don't get it if I'm running on battery power. To give an idea of how loud this buzzing can get, when it's at its loudest I need to yell for people next to me to be able to hear me. I also can not use the internal laptop mic because the buzzing overpowers my voice.

• Hello,

According to your picture, the noise will come from the left speaker:Image_1.jpg

1. Do you hear this noise when the speakers are mute and the AC adapter connected?
    2. Do you use the original AC adapter?

My opinion: You are hearing frequencies which would come from a defective AC adapter (switching power supply) or power onboard. First I would try with another AC adapter.

France
  • GXR

Sorry for the late reply, 

1. Yes, I hear it with the speakers on mute. I do think that the speaker might have something to do with it because when it's not muted the sound from there does sound a bit distorted (but maybe that's just me)

2. Yes I use the original adapter, I'll try a different one and report back

• GXR

I found someone with the same laptop and charger as me. Tried his charger and I still got the buzzing so I guess we can rule that out.

I'm now actually starting to hear the same buzzing/crackling from the front right speaker. I'm guessing perhaps there's some kind of problem with the electricity going to/from or around the speakers which gets more apparent the more power the laptop as a whole is drawing from the charger. Could something like that be possible?

Either way I guess I'm gonna try to find a temp replacement laptop somewhere so I can get this one repaired. Will post again when the problem has been diagnosed and/or resolved. Any other suggestions I can try in the meantime are still welcome, I can't send this thing off straight away cause I need it every day Smiley Frustrated

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

Probably a stupid idea, but don't you have the option to listen to the microphone? Like in the sound, recording devices ---> select microphone ----> properties ---> Uncheck listen to this device, if it's checked.

This can cause some annoying sounds if it's checked.

• GXR

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, but no I actually have the (internal) mic disabled completely most of the time. I just use a headset mic at home. Checked the settings of both and neither have the listen option enabled.

• GXR
    Answer ✓

So, I have some good news... Smiley Happy

In a last attempt effort I decided to open up my laptop and remove the front left speaker completely, because I was almost certain that's where the sound was coming from. I disconnected it from the MoBo, unscrewed it and removed it from the chassis. I've been testing the entire day and I can confirm the buzzing is now GONE!!!

It's a bit of a hacky solution as I now only have 3 speakers instead of 4, but I'm just happy I'm able to use this thing in the workplace again. Marking this as solved.

• intel23
    intel23 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello, I have 

VN7-791G-70TB , same issue , buzzing on the left speaker. Noticed it happens when I`m running games or connecting a secondary monitor/TV on HDMI.