Lid interfering with using V3-575T with external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Options
Old_Man_Bayside
Old_Man_Bayside Member Posts: 7 New User

Brand new laptop with factory Windows 10, external interface devices.  Can't work with the lid closed.

Reviewed other messages: (1) USB selective suspend settings already "disabled" and (2) no, I don't want to use my phone to start my computer.

Problem: if lid is closed when computer sleeping, can't restart with the mouse or keyboard.  It appears that the external interface devices are not powered during sleep if the lid is closed.  If the lid was open when going into sleep and stays open, then I can restart with the external mouse.

Settings: lid action option in BIOS has no effect - enabled or disabled.  All entries in "Device Manager", "Human Interface Devices", "Keyboards", "Mice and other pointing devices", and "Universal Serial Bus controllers" that have a "Power Management" tab have been checked.  All "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" options are unchecked.  Also noted that ALL "Allow this device to wake the computer" options are grey!  After the last such check, I have rebooted several times.

If the lid is open, I can restart with the external mouse.  However, it always restarts with the laptop's screen backlight on, even if it was turned off before sleep.

How can I close the lid and just use the laptop with the external devices?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

You must have your monitor on a stand. I have mine wall mounted and the laptop lid shoved up behind the monitor.

Is your mouse a USB? Find it in Device Manager/ Human Interface devices, (HID-compliant consumer control device)

and in Power Management, check allow to wake or is this one of the places you already checked?

• Old_Man_Bayside
    Options

Yes, I have my laptop on a stand.

I had already checked for the power switch at your suggested locations.  However, I missed the fact that there was a "allow to start" on the "HID compliant system controller" and one of the two "HID-compliant vendor-defined devices" that were not grey.  They are now set.  I was not focused on the allow-to-start because I can start with my mouse button OK (if the laptop's cover is not closed).

I also found that the "display on external monitor only" holds through a wake-from-sleep so I have the backlight on the display now staying off.  However, the laptop's keys are still lit and I can't close the cover.

• Old_Man_Bayside
    Options

A second reply!

I forgot about your USB question - yes, my mouse is USB and it is connected through a USB hub buried in the USB keyboard.

Second, I find that turning on those extra "allow to start" options has made a slight difference.  Now, if the laptop's cover is closed, I can still go to sleep OK and I can now start the laptop from sleep (with the cover still closed).  HOWEVER, the external screen does not get a picture after the restart.  If I open the cover and then close it, the external screen gets the picture OK and I am back where I started.  I assume that the laptop's own screen turns off its backlight and the keyboard lights when the cover closes - it is just like the light in a refrigerator - does it go off when the door is closed?

I don't consider this a fix because of the need to open and close the cover after sitting there and watching a blank external screen!

• philetus
    Options

Do you have it set to "Project to second screen only"?

• Old_Man_Bayside
    Options

First of all - your speed of response is great!  Thank you.

Here is a step-by-step:

- Running system

- set "second screen only" - Fn-F5 on laptop

- switch off the key backlights using Fn-F6

- close the laptop lid

- external HDMI monitor, USB keyboard, and USB mouse working fine (mouse

through a hub in the keyboard)

- set to sleep from the external monitor and mouse (my mouse has a little red

light on it - the light goes out immediately)

- wait a while

- wake up with the left button on the external mouse even though the little

red light if off

- the light on the external mouse goes on immediately

- wait for a while - external monitor blank - didn't rush this step

- open laptop lid

- laptop screen is backlit and alive, keys are backlit

- external screen goes on almost immediately

- press Fn-F5 - shows set for both screens (see second step above)

- go back to the first step

I have not tested in the last few minutes but I am sure that if I am set for both screens but with the laptop backlight off and the lid open, it will come back from sleeping with both screens active and the key backlights on.

Net result: either open and close the lid after coming back from sleep or just leave it open all the time (with the laptop's screen and keyboard backlights on when ever we are using the system if we don't want to mess with Fn-F6 every time after opening the lid).

Any other step-by-steps useful?

• philetus
    Options

Tap Windows key + P and set it to second screen only. Maybe the hot key disables when you reboot.

There's one other way at the bottom of this link that has  "Keep these settings" .

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/uscorp1/SLN297870/EN