Left Hinge Malfunctioned - V5 571P, Now the Screen Is Cracked

Options
squidgy
squidgy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I purchased an Aspire V5 571P in September of 2013.  In July of 2014 one of the control buttons stopped working so I contacted Acer.  We set it up so that I would mail in the laptop.  Just a day or two before mailing it in, the screw at the left hinge fell out.  Rather than just screwing it back in myself, I mailed it in with a note asking that the laptop be looked at for both issues.  The laptop was returned with the screw back in, and the control key worked. 

About ten days ago (in Jan. of 2016) I was shutting the laptop when I heard a loud "pop."  The shell of the laptop cracked under the left hinge, and the crack separates right at the hole where you plug in the adapter.  The screen is cracked.  Touch screen no longer functions. 

Acer says it is out of warranty.  I purchased an extended warranty, but that company is saying that I dropped the laptop.  I did not drop the laptop. 

Do I just need to buy a new laptop?  If I do, I will certainly be looking at other companies. 

Does anyone know how much would this cost to fix?  I certainly expected this laptop to last more than 2 years.

Answers

• thuizenga11
    thuizenga11 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I had the exact thing happen to my Aspire and the screen cracked too. I am surprised that there is not a recall on these because I did see when I was looking to ordering a new screen that to beware of this left hinge problem. So it is an ongoing problem with these laptops. You don't have to drop it for the screen to crack. I found the hinges and a screen on Amazon and have to find someone to repair the hinge and screen now.

• squidgy
    squidgy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options

The lesson I've learned is this: if you care enough to buy an extended warranty, go ahead and buy the one with accident protection.  This is because if something happens to the item, it may look to the company as if you had an accident, whether you actually did or not.   

How much were the screen and hinges?