Laptop lagging in games can anyone help me, I've tried everything

The_guy
The_guy Member Posts: 4 New User

Well as the title says, laptop is lagging....I play bf4 60 fps and suddenly it starts freezing and lagging and the show goes on for 15 seconds and everything goes back to normal....happens every minute.....I'm trying to update bios but in support it says windows 10 64, while I got windows 8.1 64 bit  .....anybody got an idea what this could be? ....I know it's not heat, the temperatures are good, I have 4 gigs of ram  not optimal for gaming I know but that still shouldn't be causing this much lag so I don't know, feeling kinda desperate here....

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

Well a little bit more details would be useful, what notebook, what temperatures you have, what's the CPU/GPU frequency, and so on. During the lag do you see a spike in the CPU/GPU frequencies?

It can be the low memory, because if you have integrated graphics card for example, the memory is shared, so changes in texture and so on would be hard if you don't have enough memory since they need to be loaded from the virtual memory aka the hard disk.

Do you have an HDD and one SSD? If yes, is the game installed on the SSD or HDD?

• The_guy

Hello...it's acer aspire v15 v5 591g, gtx 950m 2gb, i5 6300, 4gb ddr4 2133 mhz, hdd...temps are around 60 while playing cpu and gpu, they are ok....what do you mean do I see a spike in cpu/gpu frequencies, and could that be measured by msi afterburner, cause that's how I measure fps and temps....

• sharky25k

Hi,

You can use afterburner to monitor the GPU frequency and usage, the video memory usage and of course the RAM usage. And thus you can find where is the bottleneck if there is any. But I think afterburner cannot see the absolute frequency of the CPU.

For the 950m the frequency should be always around 900-1000 Mhz. If it's lower it could suggest throttling for some reason.

For the CPU use intel XTU, and monitor the graph. If you see sudden drop in frequency, like from 2 Ghz to 0.78 or something similar to this it can indicate a throttling issue.

But you still did not tell me if you have an HDD and SSD in the notebook. and if yes where is your game installed.

• The_guy

No, no I have hdd so....okay I will test gpu and cpu tomorrow and I will post the results here...thank you for helping me ^^

• The_guy

GPU goes down to 1 percent :/ ...can't tell why...I just hope it's not hardware issue... ...ps: laptop's performance drasticaly falls when on batery....when adapter is plugged in it's 60 fps but these lag spikes make it unplayable.... ...ps2: can you please give me the link to downloading bios update for my laptop, 8.1 64bit version...all I find is bios for windows 10

• sharky25k

Hi,

The BIOS is OS independent in general, unless you have windows 7 and UEFI BIOS.

But was your notebook shipped with windows 8? Because I don't see drivers for windows 8. And actually this can be the issue, if you don't have the right drivers. Since there are no drivers for W8, I assume that acer never shipped this notebook with w8.