Laptop VN7-571G is constantly humming. Why?

Options
Kir
Kir Member Posts: 1 New User

My newly bought produces low constant noise. It comes from its right side. Is it due to fans? Why then?

There are no heavy tasks running.

My 8 years old Samsung laptop did that only when the load was heavy, e.g. when playing, but there is only quite background noise which still irritates a lot when compared to absolutely quite old one! I thought this powerful laptop should remain absolutely quite when I am browsing in the Internet etc... Am I wrong or is my laptop faulty?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Answers

• JaapDJ
    JaapDJ Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options

Mine does that too, it's the fans and ofcourse their activity depend on the processor load. The fact that you only browse the internet doesn't say much. Some other program or background task can be running and consuming CPU causing the fans to kick in or an increase of their speed. Have you checked the taskmanager to monitor CPU load? I'm not sure wether it's possible to monitor the temperature (you could try 'Real Temp') of this system, but if the fans kick in too enthusiastically under low temp conditions, maybe Acer could address it with a UEFI update. I'll check my laptop for it's behavior and will try to deduct threshold temperatures related to specific fan activity.

• micol
    micol Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

I have the same model and its almost completely quiet during the internet browsing ( windows 7, turbo off ).

The fans are off most of the time, the proc max temp is ok 56 C. The system and the browser are installed on the ssd and the second hdd spins down when idle.

I think the hdd (wd blue 1TB) which is in the lower right hand corner actually produces more intrusive kind of noise than the fan on low speed.

• JaapDJ
    JaapDJ Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options

When I don't do much on the laptop (eg browsing), the fans (there are 2 installed) are running, but only barely noticeable. If you put the air exhaust vents on the back of the laptop to your ears, you'll hear them. Otherwise not. CPU temperature is in the area of 50 degrees centigrade. If I load up the processor (with Prime 95, or by encoding HD video), the processor temperature increases to some 90 degrees and very rapidly the fans start running on their maximum capacity. Then the humming noise is prominent. If it would be like that constantly, it would be annoying, but who runs 100% processor load all the time? I don't. Once you stop the 100% load, the CPU temperature drops really quickly and the fans spin down. All in a matter of seconds. All in all I think the noise is very acceptable. Actually the line of thought of the topic starter that a high performance laptop should be more quiet then an old or low performance laptop is exactly opposite to my humble assumption. Low performance laptops have CPU's that simply don't get so hot. A high performance laptop CPU provides maximum performance in an environment that is limited in cooling ability (which what a laptop is). If you want to exploit the computing power of the CPU (and you must admit, this i7 really kicks butt), you'll have to accept some fan noise...