Keyboard issues on V7-482PG

Options
sanitypassing
sanitypassing Member Posts: 3 New User

The two shift keys on my laptop's keyboard are randomlynot registering. I have confirmed that it is an issue with the keyboard itself by 1) installing the latest drivers for the entire system, 2) ensuring I am on the latest BIOS update, 3) ensuring there is no software intercepting the keypresses, and 4) using an external keyboard to determine whether it as well had isuses, and if keys would register when I used the laptop's shift key (they did). When the keys do work, they only work for a short tine; after a random amount of keypresses, they begin to fail to register. Some keys ('j', for example) cause this to happen faster than others, and no key appears to be usable indefinitely, without causing the shift keys to fail to register. As far as I can tell, this is an issue that only extends to the two shift keys on the keyboard.

Normally I would RMA the laptop and wait for a replacement, but I'm a university student in a computer science program, and absolutely cannot go more than a day without my laptop. I can do well enough so far with my external keyboard, but I cannot use it in lectures to take notes, so it is quickly becoming an issue. Because of this, I want to try to find a fix that I can use to temporarily fix the issue until the end of the semester, after which I can RMA the system. Is there such a fix available, or am I stuck with a faulty system until mid-December?

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

On EBay there are keyboards available from China and Canada. They may or may not be right. There doesn't seem to be a disassembly guaid available for the V& anywhere.

You can try http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/ to remap the affected keys in the meantime.

Answers

• philetus
    Options
    To open the On-Screen Keyboard
    1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

2. Enter On-Screen Keyboard in the search box, and then tap or click On-Screen Keyboard.

A keyboard appears on the screen that can be used to move around your PC and enter text. The keyboard will remain on the screen until you close it.

Note
    • To open the OSK from the sign-in screen, tap or click the Ease of Access button Ease of Access button in the lower-left corner of the sign-in screen, and then tap or click On-Screen Keyboard.
    To change how info is entered into the On-Screen Keyboard
    • With the OSK open, tap or click the OSK Options key, and then select the options you want:

• Use click sound. Use this option if you want to hear a sound when you press a key.

• Show keys to make it easier to move around the screen. Use this option if you want the keys to light up as you type.

• Turn on numeric keypad. Use this option to expand the OSK to show a numeric keypad.

• Click on keys. Use this mode if you prefer to click or tap the on-screen keys to enter text.

• Hover over keys. Use this mode if you use a mouse or joystick to point to a key. The characters you point to are entered automatically when you point to them for a specified time.

• Scan through keys. Use this mode if you want the OSK to continually scan the keyboard. Scan mode highlights areas where you can type keyboard characters by pressing a keyboard shortcut, using a switch input device, or using a device that simulates a mouse click.

• Use Text Prediction. Use this option if you want the OSK to suggest words for you as you type so you don't need to type each complete word.

• sanitypassing
    Options

I'm not asking for a software solution that doesn't actually fix my problem; I asked for a hardware fix that would result in my not losing access to my system for a month or so while I wait on the RMA to be processed.

• philetus
    Answer ✓
    Options

On EBay there are keyboards available from China and Canada. They may or may not be right. There doesn't seem to be a disassembly guaid available for the V& anywhere.

You can try http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/ to remap the affected keys in the meantime.

• sanitypassing
    Options

Ah, thank you! This will work perfectly until I can RMA the system. Thanks!

• jujolhos
    jujolhos Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have the same problem with the keys P, O, L, ., 9. I am using the screen keyboard right now. Is the keyboard replacement necessary to solve this problem? It is 100.00 dolars and I do not have the warranty anymore.

• squarewave00
    squarewave00 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I'm in the same boat.  I'm watching this thread to see if anyone replaces the keyboard.