Is it possible to add second internal storage into the v nitro vn7-791g laptop?

Options
DerickWoo
DerickWoo Member Posts: 2 New User

Hai, i would like to know is it possible to add second drive into the system. Cause i saw from toher acer website, they do have laptop version with 1tb hdd+ 256ssd dual storage version.

Best Answer

• mawin
    mawin Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

yes you have a full HDD bay in this version and a M2 (?) SSD, so if you take a pure SSD version, you can install a second HDD in the free bay.

Answers

• mawin

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

yes you have a full HDD bay in this version and a M2 (?) SSD, so if you take a pure SSD version, you can install a second HDD in the free bay.

• DerickWoo
    DerickWoo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your information, that means i need to look for ssd drive with m.2 socket.
  • mawin

Tinkerer

Options

the ones with 128 / 256 GB SSD have a m.2 SSD and a free standard 2.5" bay

• sherwinV17NITRO
    sherwinV17NITRO Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Greetings Mawin,

I have recently purchased an Acer V17 Nitro Black Edition (specifically the VN7-791G-76MH). My version doesn't have the 256GB SSD m.2 onboard and only has a 1TB conventional HDD for storage. I believe this is the second tier just below Acer's top of the line model for it's VN7-791G series.

My question is: if I were to remove the conventional 1TB HDD installed in my laptop and replace it with a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, would cloning be the only way for me to conveniently transfer my exisiting OS (Microsoft 8.1) to the new SSD that I plan to acquire?

on the top tier V17 Nitro (VN7-791G-75YT), what is the m.2 256GB SSD for? is it being used as a cache? or is it where the OS is preloaded?

• mawin

Tinkerer

Options

My question is: if I were to remove the conventional 1TB HDD installed in my laptop and replace it with a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, would cloning be the only way for me to conveniently transfer my exisiting OS (Microsoft 8.1) to the new SSD that I plan to acquire?

Yes, I would clone the entire (!) disk with recovery partitions.

on the top tier V17 Nitro (VN7-791G-75YT), what is the m.2 256GB SSD for? is it being used as a cache? or is it where the OS is preloaded?

You can use it as you like as its just a normal HDD. I run the OS on it. Since my laptop has 16 GB i dont really need a lot of cache. the m.2 also has the recovery partition etc. on it. My setup is m.2 for OS and programms and cache and an intel SSD for data storage. But of course you can config this as you please (i.e. add another conventional HDD). Bear in mind you need to buy a HDD cable from acer before you can connect a second HDD. I found that very stingy, it should have been provided with the laptop.