I have an Aspire V17 Nitro (VN7-791G-72MY). Very slow startup

Options
gxmccull
gxmccull Member Posts: 6 New User

For the last 6 weeks the time taken to show the ACER screen and then the W10 password screen is taking longer and longer. This morning was 25 mins toget  the Acer screen showing. Nothing appearing in bios to explain it and when the machine has booted up it performs all tests fine and works as normal. Its doing my head in any idea's?????

Best Answer

• gxmccull
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well one now working V17 Nitro. As i was beginning to suspect the Bios had indeed been corrupted. The Tech removed all devices and began from scratch. Looks like the bios had become corrupted, possibly due to a power surge. Once replaced with an updated bios the machine is back to a 9 secs bootup from pressing the power button On. (Instead of the upto 1hr and hearing the HDD spin up and stop, spin up and stop etc.)

So if you get similar happening get a proper Bios check done it may be the same fault as i had.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

My first thought would be malware and I would run Free  Malwarebytes and see what it finds.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Then use Task manager to see what programs are starting when you boot. The more stuff that starts, the slower the boot and you may have a lot that doesn't need to run at startup.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-startup-programs-windows-10/

• gxmccull
    Options

Hi Philetus......

Sorry i may have been a little unclear.... it is the time taken between pressing the on button and the Acer logo coming up. So i don't think its malware as windows isn't firing up. I'm thinking its more a bios problem as when i switch on i can hear the fan and second disc fireup and then sound like they have gone into a loop. This afternoon it took 49 minutes before the "loop" stopped and the acer screen came on... hit F2 but i don't know enough to know if the bios is effected or not. Could it be the SSD about to pack in?

p.s i ran the malwarebytes in addition to c cleaner and spybot and no errors or alerts

• philetus
    Options

What ani-virus are you using? 

• gxmccull
    Options

AVG which has been in use since i bought the machine with no problems in the use of it, even after upgrading to W10 some considerable time ago. Also W10 has been running with no issues.

• philetus
    Options

I found a page last night, which I can't find this morning, where Avg was causing this problem on another computer.

Uninstall Avg and see if it will boot faster. You can always reinstall it.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Philetus gave you the correct suggestion, uninstall AVG and check if your system is more fast.

you can rely on Microsoft integrated antivirus.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • gxmccull
    Options

sorry uninstalled AVG and no difference to the time being taken. This time it took 35 mins from press power on until the acer screen came on when i can press F2 and go into the bios but everything there looks same as usual so am at a loss.

• philetus
    Options

I can't see where it would be software to go from the start button to the first screen so, at this point I would try another HDD. Take out your old drive and use a Windows install disk to install Win 7 or 8 and see if it starts and reboots good.

• gxmccull
    Options

Well a computer tech has the laptop to have a look at..... and will try a different SSD. However like me he is concerned that the BIOS is being halted everytime it tries to fire up.... we wait and see.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

please check on BIOS if HDD password is set to frozen.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • gxmccull
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well one now working V17 Nitro. As i was beginning to suspect the Bios had indeed been corrupted. The Tech removed all devices and began from scratch. Looks like the bios had become corrupted, possibly due to a power surge. Once replaced with an updated bios the machine is back to a 9 secs bootup from pressing the power button On. (Instead of the upto 1hr and hearing the HDD spin up and stop, spin up and stop etc.)

So if you get similar happening get a proper Bios check done it may be the same fault as i had.