I have a V17 Nitro VN7-791G-77ZF which has a free M.2 socket with only 1 key notch which ssd fits

Options
stevo71
stevo71 Member Posts: 4 New User

My V17 Nitro (non black edition) model VN7-791G-77ZF has a free M.2 socket where i would like to add an SSD. My M.2 socket has only 1 key notch present. Can someone please confirm if it is a sata socket or pci express socket and what intel or samsung SSD would be compatible to use.I see that most SSD drives are keyed for B+M so i am confused about which i should buy considering my M.2 socket only has 1 key notch.Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Answers

• stevo71
    Options

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply. Are you sure its pci express? All information i have read (not on this forum) says that the M2 port is sata, I did find this intel sata ssd with 1 key slot so you can see where the confusion is present.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Solid-State-1-Inch-SSDSCKJW240H601/dp/B00UL51CI8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447481924&sr=8-3&keywords=intel+535+m.2

Best Regards,steve.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

After a bunch of reading, I believe it is supposed to be M.2 SATA 6 Gb/s. II still don't relly get if you can use the two notch m.2s in a one notch port, but the parts list for this series calls for two notch m.2s.Time for bed.

• stevo71
    Options
    Hi Phil, did you have time to find out if a 2 notch SSD is compatible with a 1 notch m2 socket.
    I do know that the Intel 535 series has a sata m2 drive with 1 notch but I don't know if it's B or M keyed.

Best regards, steve.
  • philetus
    Options

Here's a way to tell what key you have

M2_Edge_Connector_Keying.svg.png

I don't know if your model has a different m.2 socket or the one you have accepts M & M .

These are what the VN7-791G parts manual calls for and they're all B & M.

The VN7-892g also has B & M.

I'll try to find you an answer tomorrow and possibly someone who knows will chime in.

• stevo71
    Options
    Hi Phil, I've been doing some more digging today and I read on another site an article that states that all M2 sockets have only one key, either a B or an M key. It also said that even though the M2 socket has only one key, the consumer only need to install a drive that is keyed for both B+M sockets, because the drive will only ever utilise whichever key configuration is present on the socket. The M2 SSD drive keyed for both B+M sockets is regarded as being universal, then one only needs to be sure of the size of the drive and whether or not it is sata or pci express, but I could be totally misunderstood on the article I read.

Cheers, steve.
  • philetus
    Options

That would make sense of the M.2s listed in Acer parts for the VN7-791G then.

This 2 slot m.2 sata is one of them.

SSD.JPG

I have found nothing that says some of them take a one slot card. Every one takes a 2 slot sata.