I have a Acer Aspire V nitro or VN7-591G windows 10 files got corrupted what do I do?

garritw
garritw Member Posts: 6 New User

I upgraded to windows ten, the microsoft people tell me I need a product key, which acer doesn't supply, and its 40$ for a new one. I am out of warrenty so it's atleast a hundred dollars through the acer service. I just want to be able to go back or do something to fix this I am so lost right now. I can't even run CMD in admin mode so I am more than lost to say the least

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Windows 10 should have activated automatically. It's still free for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, users.

How did you upgrade? Did you wipe your HDD?

• garritw
    Okay so I wanted pro which isn't an option for free upgrade so I signed up with insider preview and got a free version of pro through that. It's the exact same process to set up as the free home upgrade I walked through all the steps and chose to keep personal files, I proceeded to fall in love with Windows ten, until it upgraded one night and in the morning my task bar stopped working and when I tried restarting I recived a stop code error. I'm at a loss.
  • garritw
    Should I have wiped my HDD. If so didn't know that. Guess I should have done my research. What are my steps from here. Also very few functions are working the computer tells me the file path has an error
  • philetus

Did you get a valid, permanent product key with the Free Win 10 Pro? It is not a free upgrade.

If you deleted the Recovery partitions on the HDD and you didn't make a USB recovery drive, you won't be able to recover it to factory specs. If you did not delete the recovery partitiond, Hold Alt+F10 at start and see if recovery starts.

If no recovery, you can download the Windows 10 media

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

and do a clean install. It should activate. After it is installed and activated, install the Pro key and it should update to pro.

• garritw
    I have a valid product key. And insider preview means you're like Windows test dummy. So when this happens you tell them and they say thank you and suggest you do a clean install. So I guess that's what I'll do. And wouldn't the recovery partition be on my SSD? Thank you.
  • philetus

If your system is on the SSD, so is the recovery.

You should make the USB drive before you do anything.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38147/~/windows-10%3A-create-a-usb-recovery-drive-using-acer-care-center

If you can't get into Windows to do it, I would recommend doing the factory recovery outside of Windows. Hold Alt+F10 at start to access recovery.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/~/use-acer-recovery-management-to-restore-your-system-or-create-recovery-media

• garritw
    I am able to access Windows. And will do that.