Hi,Installing SSD on Acer Aspire VN7-591G-70RT and setting to primary boot device?

Options
MwPRaZfv
MwPRaZfv Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire VN7-591G-70RT which came with a western digital blue 5400rpm HDD which is throttling my laptops performance. I contacted Acer recently to ask what upgrades could be made and they confirmed I could fit an SSD up to 256gb and up to 16gb of ram.

I have bought an SSD now and will be installing it, however I wanted to ask how I could go about setting the SSD as my primary drive.

At this point I assume I could install the SSD, then select it as primary boot device in the BIOS by pressing F2, then installing windows 10 via my USB. Should this be fine on reboot or will the existence of windows on my current HDD cause a conflict?

Thanks

Best Answer

• MwPRaZfv

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

I have the unit functioning now and here's what I did.

WEARING AN ANTI STATIC BAND:

Step 1) Remove all screws on underside of Laptop

Step 2) Use spudger or credit card to GENTLY pry a gap between the keyboard and base, then use credit card to slowly slide in gap to pop the clips open, DO NOT FORCE IT.

Step3) (OPTIONAL) detatch keyboard connectors by moving clip and gently removing the cable from the socket. However the HDD slipped in for me without needed to detatch.

Step 4) Unplug original WD Blue HDD by flipping the clip and removing the cable

Step 5) Close laptop back together and boot with Windows 10 USB install

Step 6) Install windows on new SSD (For me windows automatically activated via the BIOS/UEFI) If this does not happen for you, simply re-attatch the original HDD.

Step 7) If activation successful, reattach original HDD and format. I kept all of the original ACER RECOVERY and (Healthy) Partitions in case I need to restore to factory default, but formatted the main partition.

Answers

• Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User
    Options

Hey there Smiley Happy

Are you keeping the current HDD? You shouldn't have problems using that 256GB SSD in the laptop as your main and bootable drive. As you pointed out, you should easily be able to navigate to the boot order menu in the BIOS and configure the SSD to be the bootable drive.

You can check MS's website on how to make a bootable USB drive and install the OS from it. One not from me: If you can, keep the HDD outside the laptop while installing the OS on the SSD in order to avoid any chances that the installer will put the recovery or system reserved partitions on the HDD instead of the SSD. It's always advised to have only the one drive that you are using for the OS during the installation in your system due to the above reasons.

Then you would need to backup your data from the old OS partition on the HDD and remove it along with the old system partitions. You can do that from Disk Management or with a third-party tool.

philetus also gave you some useful links so I'd check them too!

Captain_WD.

• MwPRaZfv

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

I have the unit functioning now and here's what I did.

WEARING AN ANTI STATIC BAND:

Step 1) Remove all screws on underside of Laptop

Step 2) Use spudger or credit card to GENTLY pry a gap between the keyboard and base, then use credit card to slowly slide in gap to pop the clips open, DO NOT FORCE IT.

Step3) (OPTIONAL) detatch keyboard connectors by moving clip and gently removing the cable from the socket. However the HDD slipped in for me without needed to detatch.

Step 4) Unplug original WD Blue HDD by flipping the clip and removing the cable

Step 5) Close laptop back together and boot with Windows 10 USB install

Step 6) Install windows on new SSD (For me windows automatically activated via the BIOS/UEFI) If this does not happen for you, simply re-attatch the original HDD.

Step 7) If activation successful, reattach original HDD and format. I kept all of the original ACER RECOVERY and (Healthy) Partitions in case I need to restore to factory default, but formatted the main partition.