Help on Acer Aspire V3-574G-74BC

Options
Zinedane
Zinedane Member Posts: 11 New User

Recently bought laptop however, did a factory reset on it to clear files up and re-name the user.

However after doing the factory reset, automatically it went into disk checking before the Acer setup screen, and on the desktop my Mcafee Pre-installed AV won't setup completely. It says I've input some invalid information. Error Code 9001.

Someone Please Help. Smiley Sad

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I personally, would uninstall the McAffe and get Avira free, AVG free, or Avast Free if you want something free.

• Zinedane
    Options

I'm curious as to what's causing this. Is it my O.S.? or is there something wrong with my laptop?

This happened after doing a factory reset. Smiley Sad

• philetus
    Options

Error Code 9001 - Code 9001 Windows error message may be brought on by Windows system file damage. Missing system data files.

It could possibly be a mistake happened during the Recovery. I would run the Recovery again and see if it happens again.

If it come out clean this time, I would immediately make a Recovery drive.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/~/use-acer-recovery-management-to-restore-your-system-or-create-recovery-media

If it recurs,You can try to repair the Windows system by,

Open a command prompt in Administrator

Cut and paste commands one at a time,

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

• Zinedane
    Options

Nothing changed even after doing another reset. Smiley Sad 

• Zinedane
    Options

people say on mcafee forum(s) say Error 9001 occurs when Mcafee Livesafe can't contact mcafee's server.

is there something wrong with my laptop or is it on mcafee's side? Smiley Sad

• Zinedane
    Options

Noticed that even though I did a full factory reset on the Laptop, most apps are up to date or are on recent versions. such as my nvidia driver which I only updated yesterday. Any input on this? I think this is what caused mcafee to break. 

• philetus
    Options

No, it's McAffe. McAffe is a piece of *****. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Go to Control Panel/Programs and Features and see if you can uninstall McAffe and LiveSafe and get a good anti-virus.

I personally like Avira and use the Pro version on all my computers. I also use the pro version of Malwarebyes. It has caught a lot of malware before it could infect my laptop.

• Zinedane
    Options

So it's simply caused by mcafee itself or their servers? was going to do that since i'm an avid user of avast. was just worried that it had something to do with my Software or O.S.

• philetus
    Options

I don't think so. Let me know if all of McAffe installs ok.

Better yet, download the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool and use that. And even when it's done, go to C:/Program Files (x86) and Program files and delete the McAffe folders. I can't remember if there are remnants in both. If you experience any other problems, let me know. 

http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp 

• Zinedane
    Options

It actually re-installs just fine. still boggled as to what might have caused it not to reach servers of mcafee and thus not finish setting up. 

• philetus
    Options

Maybe the install didn't connect to the network fast enough before McAffes servers gave up.

• Zinedane
    Options

even though it was pre-installed with the unit/ recovery partition? 

• Zinedane
    Options

Btw, mcafee connected and setup just fine before the unit was reset for the first time. 

• philetus
    Options

The program is in the recovery. Who knows what McAffe does when it connects during recovery. 

• Zinedane
    Options

so it's not a problem with my O.S. whatsoever but Mcafee's correct? Smiley Happy 

• philetus
    Options

Are you having any problems with the system now? Is it starting and running, rebooting fine? If so, enjoy your computer.

• Zinedane
    Options

i'll observe for the meantime.. thanks for your help! Smiley Happy

• philetus
    Options

I'm happy to help.