Forgotten Password for V3-471G

TacticX
TacticX Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer V3-471G (i7-3610QM version). A few years back i set a password in the BIOS options to prevent access to it, but since i haven't used the BIOS menu in a while, i have forgotten it and am looking for a way to remove or reset it. I've checked on google if there are any backdoor passwords but have found none so far. the BIOS also doen't give out a hash when i enter it incorrectly 3 times so the utilities that crack the hash don't work.

The only option i haven't tried is reflashing the BIOS with the one available on the download page.

I checked the BIOS version in windows and it says it is version 1.18.

The lowest version available on the acer website for my model is 1.24 and it contains an .exe file and just says to run it.

Is it safe to flash the BIOS and will it remove the password, or is there a safer way to retrieve/remove the password without potentially bricking the laptop?

Here is some information:

BIOS Version: 1.18 Insyde H20

Type: i7-3610QM / GT640M version

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

There is no way to flash the bios. You would need the bios file, an .fd file, and you can extract everything in the bios that is extractable and you won't find one. That is a Insyde/Phoenix hybrid bios and they are different.

I sent you a PM.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

There is no way to flash the bios. You would need the bios file, an .fd file, and you can extract everything in the bios that is extractable and you won't find one. That is a Insyde/Phoenix hybrid bios and they are different.

I sent you a PM.