Fan randomly not working - Acer Nitro

Pasch
Pasch Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hi,

I have Acer Nitro (591) laptop. Sometimes after restart one or two fans (it seems to be random) does not work at all. Even when computer is heavy loaded one or two fans does not start which finally leads to overheating and shutdown. After restart (or many restarts) fans start working and everything is OK. Any thoughts what may be the problem?

Thanks,

Answers

• fras23
    fras23 Member Posts: 11 New User

yes the fan is physically failing, you need to get it replaced.

• Pie
    Pie Member Posts: 27 New User

There was also an odd issue with fans if you have an external monitor plugged in, I dont suppose you do?

• Pasch
    Pasch Member Posts: 2 New User

In fact I sometimes do have external monitor connected and when I think about it, it may be corellated, what was the issue and resolution?

• Pie
    Pie Member Posts: 27 New User

Here was the thread.  Basically you just have to unplug the monitor before you boot and only plug it in once it's running.

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series/Aspire-V-15-throttles-CPU-instead-of-cooling/m-p/362059#M939

• etienne85
    etienne85 Member Posts: 2 New User

I can't believe this was the answer, I've been struggling for a year with this issue, returning back the laptop to RMA (in france) without success...

THe second time I forced RMA to change the motherboard... and issue just happened again today..

By happy coincidence, I came on this thread, which I didn't find when I searched several month ago...

I just rebooted laptop without monitor plugged, and... TADA !!!  both fans just spinned again at full speed..

thanks a lot for response.. this made my day,

I still have to check this is really working as I still can't believe this was so dumb issue... but this will save my laptop from being reselled..

• davidcci
    davidcci Member Posts: 7 New User

can you share which BIOS version on your system is?