[FIX] Acer VN7-592G Erratic touchpad fix

wtfs
wtfs Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hi Acer community

I had this laptop since May and was very satisfied with it however the one thing that bugged me since day 0 was that touchpad and the bloatware.

[Software fix for erratic touchpad]

The touchpad being erratic and inaccurate, at times when i try to move my cursor over a small distance it would not detect and then jump past the point i want it to hit, it was driving me insane. 

I tried the firmware update that acer provided, installed the newer drivers from synaptics and also the ELAN I2C filter driver, it didnt do anything!

Forums all over the internet esp from the dell forums regarding the XPS15 suggested disabling the "enhance pointer precision" in the pointer options tab under mouse settings from the control panel, this bandaid solution did indeed improve but more importantly it told me that it was a software issue from crappy windows 10 precision touchpad drivers. 

I came across this reddit thread where they disabled the PTP drivers and installed the legacy synaptic drivers over PS/2:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/3nbjbp/yes_a_solutionactual_working_fix_xps_laptops/

While their method could not be replicated on our acer laptops exactly by disabling the I2C bus in the device manager, Acer has provided a nice bios option that can disable the I2C bus via the bios:

1) Follow the instructions in this link to change the touchpad settings to "Basic" in the BIOS:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36865/~/changing-the-precision-touchpad-settings-in-the-bios

1.5) Reboot back into windows and you will realise your gestures and 2-finger scrolls do not work at the moment but fret not!

2) In your device manager, a new PS/2 Device should appear under mice and other pointing devices

3) Download and extract the PS/2 synaptic drivers via this link:

http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_v19_0_19_1__C__x86-x64__Win10__Signed__MS_Win10_UXUI_PS2_SMbus.zip

4) Right click on the PS/2 Device and update driver, locating the inf file for the driver of to the x64 folder.

5) Select Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad and install and now your PS/2 devices is a synaptics PS/2 touchpad:

Touchpad.png 

6) Reboot as instructed and volia!

7) You should have an additional tab in your mouse options to access the synaptics settings, adjust the various settings to your liking and you can have your gestures and 2 finger scoll back:

mouse.PNG

I believe this should work for most V/VN series laptops, do let me know if they work and if you enjoy the laptop on legacy synaptics drivers instead of **bleep**ty windows 10 precision touchpad drivers.

[Hardware fix for shakiness]

The touchpad was flimsy/shaky to me and it made a bang for buck laptop feel cheaper than it had to. The solution to that was to open the laptop and placed 2 sponges(melamine) where the white boxes are, there were thick enough to get the right solid built feel of the touchpad by removing the shakiness/play but thin enough to allow me to still click the button. For my laptop there was already a black sponge on one side of the touchpad but I believe it was too little to remove the play from the touchpad.

Touchpad.png

P.S: Bloatware was an easy fix, reinstalling windows 10 with a clean image, in case those were also wondering you do not need a CD-key as the key is embedded in your uefi bios and it will not prompt you for it during installation or setup of windows and it will automatically be authenticated.

Answers

• CosmicDust
    CosmicDust Member Posts: 42 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Will this also work for the ELAN touchpad? I'm not even sure thats what I have though, because the OP mentioned an ELAN 12C Filter Driver, which is what shows up as my touchpad, as best as I can figure. I see nothing else, and nothing by Synaptics. Really confused here and really sick of these issues. Somebody pelase help!

• CosmicDust

Anybody?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,089 Trailblazer

Hi,

Yes, you could try the method for Elantech touchpad as well, only difference is the driver you download from Acer site should be Elantech driver, you can check by going to Device manager, expand Human Interface Device, highlight and right click I2C HID , select Properties, in Details tab select HW ID and check whether you nees Synaptics or Elan drivers.

Capture.JPG

• CosmicDust

Thank you, so I have ELANtech. But Acer only has the regular driver. It sounds like he's saying I need a PS/2 driver. Is that right?

• brummyfan2

Hi,

No, in step 3 of his instructions he got the Synaptics driver from Synaptics driver page, you need to download the Elantech driver from Acer support site and install it after changing the mode to Basic in BIOS.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6403?b=1

Capture.JPG

• CosmicDust

Well, I did it sucessfully. We'll see if it helps with the mouse jumping and randomly thinking a single tap click is a double...

• CosmicDust

Well, now I can't enable two finger tap-to-right-click. At first, it was under the advanced options and worked fine, but since a restart, I now have many more options, but none regarding two finger taps and it doesn't work when I try.

options.PNG

Also, I discovered in making this screen with the snipping tool, it seems I've lost the ability to continue moving the cursor by reaching the edge of the pad and holding it there. That way I can double tap to drag and not have to lift my finger to make it across a long distance.

• CosmicDust

Another thing; the two finger scroll speed is wildly different, not just from my broswer vs. file explorer, but even from one website to the next.

• CosmicDust

Correction: Two-finger taps do work, they just need to be quicker than before.

So the only issues are; not being able to move the cursor by bumping the edge of the pad and inconsistent scroll speeds. It's perfect on my browser (the website that was different seems to have been a fluke), but File Explorer scrolls stupidly fast.

• brummyfan2

Hi,

Have you tried enabling Edge scroll?

• CosmicDust

Well, I enabled it and set it to scroll as slow as possible, and it's still very fast in File Explorer (and of course, very slow in my browser).

• brummyfan2

Hi,

Try disabling unused features, changing the sensitivity, you need to play around with settings and find suitable one for your liking.

• CosmicDust

I've been adjusting it significantly since then and there's nothing that affects it. Also, I've noticed I can no longer wake it with the touchpad, I have to use the keyboard.