Error after Bios update on VN7-591G

yozone
yozone Member Posts: 11 New User

Hello Guys,

I update my Bios to latest version which I found in Acer website - v1.13, everything goes smooth, but after the update my laptop boot with following error - "No bootable device''. I found how to bypass this problem - switching from UEFI secure boot to Legacy. And after this everything goes normal, but I want to use UEFI secure boot. Problem here is that when I move back from Legacy to UEFI I receive same error nobootable device and I can't run my OS. Any clue how can I fix this problem ?

Thanks in advance,

Br YoZone

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Installed OS?

are you tried to set UEFI and disable secure boot?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • yozone

I don't know which is the correct combination I tired UEFI + secure boot and got this error..."NO Bootable device"

• IronFly

the correct one is UEFI + secure boot

strange thing is that you are able to boot on legacy to windows 8.1, when the default settings for 8.1 is UEFI+secure boot.

can you please check, setting UEFI + secure boot, which kind of entries you have on Boot priority list?

• yozone

Boot priority

1)SSD

2)USB FDD

3)Network boot

4)USB HDD

5)USB CDROM

I tried again UEFI + Secure boot (Enable) and got same error ... In the same time If I change from Legacy to UEFI my boot priority goes gray and no option to change boot prio.

• IronFly

can you please try to set UEFI and at boot press F12?

any entry on boot list?

on UEFI the first bootable device normally is windows boot manager.

windows 8.1 was the original OS?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I have a couple questions too.

1. Did your computer come with that SSD?

2.  If you added the SSD, did you do a clean install or did you clone your original HDD by attaching the SSD to a USB port?

• yozone

I did some test here are the results.

1) Change back to UEFI + Secure boot , tried to press F12 during booting, but no result again - No bootable Device...

2)The laptop arrived without installed OS, I manually installed WIN 8.1 

3) Originally this laptop comes with 1TB HDD, but when I bought it I told to my provided to change my HDD with SSD - So my SSD is Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB. I can assume that they did clean installation, at the moment I'm not using my 1TB only SSD

@Short remark as I remember before updating Bios to latest version from this site - boot option was UEFI +secure boot. After the update this option was still there, this is why after the first boot after bios update I got "No bootable device''

• IronFly

strange issue.

can you enter BIOS, go to the last tab (save and exit), select load default or optimized default, then save and exit and try to boot.

it looks like BIOS is not recognising Windows boot manager on SSD and this is really strange.

• JordanB

Yeah, some of the stuff doesn't add up.....but it should be an easy fix.

1.backup all your important files to a different drive so you can retrieve them later (this is very important because you're going to wipe your SSD clean and start over)

2. Grab your windows 8.1 installation media as you'll need it soon

3. go in to your BIOS settings and load administrator defaults.  It's F9 on my Acer computer, not sure what it is on yours.  And then save and exit (possibly the F10 key)

3.5  go in to bios and enable boot menu and then save and exit

4.  Boot your windows installation media

5.  after you select your language, click "repair my computer"

6. Navigate in the menu until you find "command prompt"

7. Use diskpart clean (which will wipe your SSD clean)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

After you use the "clean" command as described in link above, type "convert GPT" and hit the enter key.

And after you use the "convert GPT" command, type "clean" and then hit the enter key on your keyboard

And then exit out of there to get back to your windows installation media drive main menu.

8.  Navigate in the windows installation media menu until you find "shutdown", and shutdown your computer

9.  Boot to your windows installation media and install windows.  Install windows on the entire unallocated space. Do not partition and do not format.  The windows installer will partition and format your SSD automatically for you. 

Edited: Edited to make sense since you don't have Acer OEM windows.

• JordanB

Edited previous post.

• ulsss
    ulsss Member Posts: 3 New User

hi YoZone

The Hard Drive is detected in bios with uefi or not?

• kchen
    kchen Member Posts: 4 New User

I got the same error! I upgrade my VN7-591G to Windows 10 and found new driver for Windows 10 and new BIOS. I installed it this morning and the same error message showed up "No bootable device found!" Do you guys figure out what is going on and how to solve the problem using the default BIOS setting?

• kchen

In my case, the hard drive is detected in bios with uefi, but using uefi cannot make me get into windows. I have tried the original poster's solution, using legacy, and then I can get into windows to save my data.  

• yozone

Hello Kchen,

Same problem here, HDD is detected with uefi, but with this option ON can't boot up the OS. There is kind of solution in the previous prost, but I'm busy these days and I need my laptop so I didn't managed to re-install/repair my OS

• IronFly

Can you guys do a check on BIOS if HDD password is frozen?

• yozone

Yes, i can confirme HDD password in Bios is frozen.

• kchen

Yes, HDD password is frozen. Actually, I do wish Acer engineers can upgrade the BIOS version since it was released in March 2015 and now the new windows 10 is ready. In my case, I upgrade my windows to windows 10 and maybe the new partition system is not supported. 

• kchen

JordanB, you provided a great information and a great help to me. With this BIOS error, I cannot recover my laptop to its original system using the backup image come with the VN7-591G. It turns out I have to buy a new microsoft OS to do that. I bought a new authentic windows 10 and installed it clean and it created a bootable disk for the updated BIOS.