Dust defender isn't turning on automatically and should I turn coolboost on?

Options
Zephyrv
Zephyrv Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hi, I used to hear dustdefender turn on and see a little notification in my windows tray but now it's stopped and I'm not sure why. Also I see coolboost is default set to off, should I turn it on? Is there any downside to turning it on? I was worried it might throttle my cpu or gpu to cool down but reading about it it seems to increase fan speed, so what's the downside?

It's a 791g V17 Nitro by the way

Thanks

Answers

• philetus
    Options

Type Quick Access in windows search and see if it works.

• Zephyrv
    Options

Hi,

Using it manually works, I can hear the noises I used to hear before and feel the air blowing out. 

• philetus
    Options

If you've upgraded to Win 10, there's a good possibility it isn't going to work on auto like it used to.

• Zephyrv
    Options

Thing is I upgraded to win10 the day I unboxed the laptop, so its worked on win10 in the past, just not anymore. Isn't this just a software issue that Acer needs to sort out if that's the case? Surely just a service or process that needs a minor tweak

• philetus
    Options

Check in Task Manager/ Startup if it is there and enabled.

• Zephyrv
    Options

I can't see it listed in startup. Any idea how I could add it back?

• philetus
    Options

In Task manager/Startup, click on File/ Run New Task and find the executable for Dust Defender.

It should be in Program Files somewhere. They searching "Dust Defender.exe.

• Zephyrv
    Options

OK so doing that opened the dustdefender application. This looks different to the one I access through quick access and when I click "Clean Now" it doesn't really do anything. Spamming click now causes very high CPU usage and although the "Notify me when active" box is checked I don't get a notification in the tray, and the dirty fan icon doesn't change. 

However, there's a file in the  plugins folder of quickaccess under dustdefender called dustdefenderclean. Opening this shows me the screen I get through quickaccess and pressing clean now actually does what its supposed to do. I can hear the fan changing and after a little while the dirty fan icon changes to clean. There are also 2 .dll files in that folder. These files are also dated 2015 whereas the previous one is 2014.

• philetus
    Options

Does quick access have any configuration or setting in it?

• Zephyrv
    Options

No, there's no option to turn DustDefender on or off, there's only an option to "Clean Now" in QuickAccess