Connecting acer aspire v7-582pg to 30 inch apple cinema HD monitor with 2560x1600 resolution

jellerrr
jellerrr Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello,

I have an acer aspire V7-582pg monitor and am trying to hook it up to an apple HD cinema display with 2560x1600 resolution. My connection is through a mini display port to dual link DVI adapter which should support high resolutions. For some reason it only recognizes the single link DVI connection and the maximum resolution is limited to 1280x800.

The mini displayport should support high resolutions through a dual link DVI adapter, correct? Why is this not working, should I change a setting in the software? I already have the most up-to-date drivers as far as I can see.

I hope someone can help me,

Best regards,

Jelle

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Be sure to have proper DVI dual link (must be DVI-I as far as i know):

DVI

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jellerrr

Thank you for your answer. However, this is not the problem because I have a DVI-I connector indeed. It should be dual link DVI-I or dual link DVI-D since the 4 extra pins are not there in the connector for the Apple screen.

Any other suggestions?

• jellerrr

I can add to this: I have set the NVIDIA high performance graphics processor to be the "preferred" graphics card, but it still seems to use the simple Intel graphics card and limits the resolution in the Intel settings (and in Windows). I can set a custom resolution in the Intel configuration, but this does not work and it just goes back to 1280x800.

I have also tried looking in the BIOSfor settings related to the graphics card, but also can't find the solution here..

Any suggestions? It's really frustrating having to work in 1280x800 at the moment..

• IronFly

Can you post the exact Intel graphic model?

about up to date drivers, do you mean from Acer or Intel website?

Do you switch to the external monitor only?

• jellerrr

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. The device manager shows two display adapters:

- Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (driver provider: Intel Corporation, driver date: 11/03/2014, driver version: 10.18.10.3496)

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M (driver provider: NVIDIA, driver date: 12/11/2014, driver version: 9.18.13.4475)

And there are two "Generic PnP Monitors" both on location: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family and with Microsoft drivers.

I tried different settings: extending the display, duplicating the display, or only using the external monitor, but this does not make a difference.

• IronFly

Have you any setting to try to choose a custom resolution?

by the way i found this infos:

Moreover, there are a few limitations in resolutions and monitor connection types.

Theoretically, a desktop system on an Ivy Bridge processor can offer three outs: the first one - a universal out (HDMI, DVI, VGA or DisplayPort) with maximum resolution of 1920x1200,

the second one – a DisplayPort, HDMI or DVI with up to 1920x1200 resolution, and the third one – a DisplayPort supporting higher resolutions up to 2560x1600.

In other words, a popular connection option when WQXGA monitors are connected to Intel HD Graphics 4000 via Dual-Link DVI is still unavailable.

However, it supports HDMI protocol version 1.4a, and DisplayPort version 1.1a, which means 3D support in the former case and the ability of the interface to transfer audio stream – in the latter.

• jellerrr

Yes, I can set a custom resolution. If I try 1920x1080 and 60Hz it does not work because the bandwidth is exceeded. If I then try 1920x1080 and 30Hz it also says that the bandwidth is exceeded, but the resolution is actually added and I can choose it. However, if I then choose it, the screen turns black and after +/- 10 seconds it reverts to 1280x800 automatically.

Where did you find the other information? The NVIDIA card should be able to handle these high resolutions, so why would it be limited in the display port configuration? Sounds like a not-so-smart design by Acer if this is really the case. Especially because I can not get to 1900x1200 either because I need to get dual-link DVI to work to go higher than 1280x800.

• IronFly

on nvidia panel, you can force an application to use nVidia graphic card, maybe try to set a custom resolution using nvidia control panel and choose an application to use it.

• jellerrr

You mean in 3D settings -> Manage 3D settings -> program settings?

I had already set the preferred processor to NVIDIA high-performance, but this does not make a difference. I don't have any other tabs then the "Manage 3D settings" tab btw, so I am missing the "display" and "video" tabs as in the screenshot below:

http://www.tweakguides.com/images/NVFORCE_4.jpg

And, If I click with right-mouse click on the desktop I have the option to go to NVIDIA control panel or to go to Graphics Properties and if I click Graphics Properties I end up in the Intel configuration.

This is why I think it is still limited by the Intel graphics card. I already re-installed NVIDIA drivers, but this makes no difference..

• jellerrr

Ok, I have switched from the apple monitor to a dell screen which has displayport connection. Works fine now in 2560x1600 resolution. Apparently it is just not possible to get Dual Link DVI to work with this Acer laptop...

• IronFly

Ok.

enjoy your new monitor. Smiley Happy

• Lifrarpylsa
    Lifrarpylsa Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm trying to connect my Acer V7 to 30" display, HP ZR30w. I tried what you tried, hdmi to DVI, and got the same resaults. Then I noticed that the display also has a displayport. So I'm wondering, how did you plug your laptop to displayport on your new monitor? Did you use a hdmi to displayport cable or?