Cannot Adjust Screen Brightness - Aspire V5

Options
P-D
P-D Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hey all,

I am having an issue with my Acer Aspire V5-431P-4653 running Windows 8.1, namely, I cannot adjust the screen brightness at all. It seems to arbitrarily select a brightness level upon start up and from that point I cannot change it via the Fn and directional keys or through the control panel power settings. I have owned the laptop for a year and a half and this problem began roughly a week ago. 

Of note, when I attempt to use the Fn and directional keys the brightness icon that pops up stays at the frozen brightness level - it does not move at all. In contrast, when I open the power settings and attempte to change the brightness from there, the brightness slider will move wherever I drag it, but the screen's brightness itself does not change. At startup the screen's brightness may be at full, minimum or somewhere in between - but regardless it will not adjust. Anyone have any idea what can be done about this? 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

re-install VGA drivers.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • P-D
    Options

Thanks for your quick response. I'm going to give it a try. 

• P-D
    Options

Ok, well I'm having difficulty locating the correct drivers. On the main Acer site they do not show up for my particular model, and on the global acer downloads site the Intel driver for my model with Windows 8.1 says that my system does not meet base requirements for installing when I attempt to install. Can you point me in the right direction for the appropriate drivers? 

• dunhillben
    dunhillben Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

I have the same issue; do I have to install same driver from your link? My laptop is Aspire E15 (E5-512G-632L).

Thanks IRON FLY!

• tankboy77
    tankboy77 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Hi! don't know if it can help... I had the same problem with the fn key and brightness on an Aspire V5-571P with Intel HD4000.. tried to reinstall Windows 8, 8.1, 10, ... tried many launch pannel and video drivers... nothing worked... Until I tried this....

can sound weird but my problem was fixed when I installed the big 250mb bluetooth package for the atheros:

note that I have Windows 8.1 installed and I've downloaded the Windows 8 drivers

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Bluetooth/Bluetooth_Atheros_v8.0.1.314_W81x64W8x64_A.zip?acerid=635252810810081941&Step1=ULTRA-THIN&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20V5-571P&OS=8P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_4

installed the full "InstallCD" from the package

after a reboot I noticed my screen was brighter... tried the fn keys and it worked!... Maybe there's a similar package for your laptop

• Clouds
    Clouds Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you, Tankboy77, for taking the time to post your resolution to assist others.  I also have an Aspire V5-571P with Intel HD4000.  I did not realize that the Creators version of Windows 10 would not be supported by Acer for this model.  I noticed some weird behavior on the initial install, but when the latest Creators Updates installed, I experienced more problems, including no response to brightness control by using the designated Fn+R/L Arrow keys, or by clicking through to the Display Settings options.  Rolling back the operating system to the previous version of Windows 10 did not resolve the issue. 

After installing the Bluetooth package for Atheros that you suggested, I still do not have the keyboard control option, but now I can adjust the screen brightness through the Display Settings.  What a relief!!