Can't restore from USB V15 V3-575G

DTFan
DTFan Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm pretty much a noob at this stuff. The computer is about 7 months old. I *think* it received some kind of update from MS over night. The next morning it told me to reboot. I did and was presented a non-booting system.

When I bought the machine I did a USB backup. I have tried to restore from that multiple times with no luck.

Here's some of the steps I've done and their results. Mind you that these are steps I knew nothing about but gatherered from different posts on the web.

I turned off the machine. I inserted the USB drive. I restart the machine and at the Acer logo I started hitting the F2 key. I got into the BIOS and went over to Boot. I made sure that the Toshiba-XXX (whatever the thing is) drive was listed first. It's a Toshiba jump driver.

The I saved and exited and then rebooted the computer. It asked for my language, I selected US-EN (or whatever that one is).  I tried reset but keep my files. I tried reset and erase everything. I tried the option for fixing startup. Nothing worked. I always came back to the same thing.

so then I boot into jump drive and selected Advanced Mode.

From there I went to Command Prompt. At the command prompt I typed: chkdsk /f C:

It says it fixed some things and that nothing further was required. I shut it down, removed the jump drive, and still no booting.

I reboot and rerun the chkdsk command. No errors. Still can't boot.

I go back into Command Prompt via the USB (another reboot), and type: sfc /scannow

That finds no errors but says it can't continue (after getting to 100%).

Reboot and go back into Command Prompt, and type: diskpart

Here is what I have on that screen (sorry for horrible formatting)

On Computer: MININT-4LOUJC2

List         Disk       Size        Free     Dyn        Gpt

Disk 0     Online    931GB     0B                      *

Disk 1     Online    29GB       0B     

So Disk 0 is the HDD and Disk 1 is the USB. Then I type:sel disk 0

Partition ###     Type          Size        Offset

Partition 1         System      100MB    1024KB

Partition 2         Reserved    16MB     101MB

Partition 3         Primary      930GB    117MB

Partition 4         Recovery    500MB    931MB

Next I type: attributes disk

Current Read-Only State : No

Read-Only : No

Boot Disk : No

Pagefile Disk : No

Hibernation File : No

Crashdump Disk : No

Clustered Disk : No

And finally I type: list volume

Volume ###     Ltr     Label          FS         Type                Size        Status          Info

Volume 0          E                                       DVD Partition    0B           No Media

Volume 1          C        Acer            NTFS     Partition           930GB     Healthy

Volume 2                    ESP             Fat32     Partition          100MB     Healthy       Hidden

Volume 3                    Recovery      NTFS     Partition          500MB     Healthy       Hidden

Volume 4          D        RECOVERY    Fat32    Partition           29GB      Healthy      

After that last one, I went back and rebooted. Under Advanced Options (I think that is where it was) there was an option to reset from a drive. I chose that as I was attempting to recover from the USB. I went through the setting up phase (2%, 16%, 20%, ...). Then it restarted and I got to the part where it says:

"Installing Windows

Your PC will resrart several times. Sit back and relax

1%

Installing features and drivers 2%     Configuring settings"

That's it. It's been there since last night. It's well over 12 hours now. This is the same place I was at 2 days ago when I first tried restoring. It does not get past this point.

I know (hope???) that I'm just doing something wrong for the recovery media to work. It says the drive is healthy (both recovery on the HDD and on the USB list as healthy). I am SOOOOO very new to this type of stuff.

Is there a way to recover my laptop without having to send it back to Acer? Can I recover from the USB? Is there a way to recover from the HDD recovery media directly?

I am sorry for such a long post. I want to include as much information as possible. As I said, I am new to recovery. I do not even know what those commands I typed actually mean. But on those other boards people said it was useful information so I thought I should include it.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated. And if you could make the steps as easy as possible to follow and understand that would be uber-awesome. Talk to me like I'm a 10 year old (I would have said 12 but when it comes to computers most 12 years old smoke me in regards to talent Smiley Sad ).

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

I am not sure how the recovery does work or what does the recovery disk contain.

First be sure that your BIOS is set to EFI mode (UEFI) since it looks like you should have a UEFI boot, based on the partitions which you have.

Also I see that you don't really want to restore your files, and you are willing to lose all your data to do the recovery. I think that at this point most of your data is gone (based on what you told me with windows install).

You can try to enter in the same way in diskpart and format the partition three in the first place:

diskpart
    select disk 0 (be sure is the correct disk)
    select partition 3
    format fs=ntfs quick

Then you should try to do the recovery, with the recovery drive.

If is not working, you can try to format also the partition 2 (it contains the efi boot files, which based on your description are actually corrupted, this could be the reason why your system did not boot in the first place).

Otherwise another solution is to reinstall windows with a windows 10 USB disk. (I assume you had windows 10, based on the description how the installation screen appeared:-), but I can be wrong).

You can download the tool from here on another computer https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Launch the tool and select the correct version of your windows (home or professional) and create a bootable USB (you will need a USB stick with at least 4GB or 8GB of space).

Boot this USB and follow the instructions to install your OS. Your key is embedded in BIOS so don't worry, if you selected the correct OS the system will activate itself after the install.

Unless there is some sort of HDD error (eg bad sectors) this should work fine.