Can V5 591G work without the built-in battery?

VanZ
VanZ Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi, guys!

My laptop is constantly plugged in when I use it and according to my personal experience, Acer's own guidelines from the user manual and this link here http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2384/~/how-to-charge-and-care-for-your-acer-battery on how to extend battery life, this can severly affect it, so it should better be removed.

Unfortunately the built-in battery of my model is not easily removable like on my previous laptops, so I'd like to know, if I open the bottom cover and remove the baterry, will this void my warranty and will the laptop funtion without the battery?

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

It will probably work fine without the battery, but leaving the battery in a drawer doesn't really keep the battery in top shape. If you leave it out, you should put it back in once in a while and let it drain for a bit and recharge it. I put a new one in the drawer for about a year and a half and it degraded just sitting there.

There is also the power outage part. Without a battery, the power goes out and the laptop just dies instantly. Not only do you lose any unsave work, but it can cause system problems and sometimes damage the laptop.

Modern power management circuitry will prevent "over-charging" the battery, even if you leave it charging 24/7. What is detrimental to the battery is charging it to 100%, letting it drain completely or near completely, then recharging it to 100% repeatedly. This puts a lot of wear on the cells.

Try to keep your charge between 20% and 80%, while only doing a FULL charge + discharge cycle once in a great while. This will preserve the overall longevity of the battery's ability to hold a charge. Also, the cooler you can keep the laptop, the better for the battery as well.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

It will probably work fine without the battery, but leaving the battery in a drawer doesn't really keep the battery in top shape. If you leave it out, you should put it back in once in a while and let it drain for a bit and recharge it. I put a new one in the drawer for about a year and a half and it degraded just sitting there.

There is also the power outage part. Without a battery, the power goes out and the laptop just dies instantly. Not only do you lose any unsave work, but it can cause system problems and sometimes damage the laptop.

Modern power management circuitry will prevent "over-charging" the battery, even if you leave it charging 24/7. What is detrimental to the battery is charging it to 100%, letting it drain completely or near completely, then recharging it to 100% repeatedly. This puts a lot of wear on the cells.

Try to keep your charge between 20% and 80%, while only doing a FULL charge + discharge cycle once in a great while. This will preserve the overall longevity of the battery's ability to hold a charge. Also, the cooler you can keep the laptop, the better for the battery as well.

• VanZ

Thanks for the reply and the advice! I know that just keeping it out won't make it last longer. For instance I used to keep the battery of my old toshiba laptop in a drawer at around 70 % only uising it once or a couple of times a month and after 5 years it still had enough juice for 2,5 ~ 3 hours. So I wanted to give the same treatment to my new Acer, but I didn't know how would it affect the laptop itself, but I'll try to remove it. We get very rearly power outages in Germany so that's not a big concern for me.

Do you know if such use of the laptop and also opening it would affect the warranty in any way? I read the provided warranty brochure, but they didn't mention anything.

• If you don't break anything, you will be fine.

Acer doesn't void warranties for opening laptops to upgrade memory and HDDs. If the laptop runs fine without the battery installed, they shouldn't care.

• VanZ

Thank you for this information!