Can I upgrade the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-729V with a 2.5inch Samsung SSD?

Options
SakinChowdhury
SakinChowdhury Member Posts: 21 New User

This is the laptop i'm talking about -- http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Edition-VN7-591G-729V-15-6-Inch/dp/B00WJSQS02?ref_=pe_623860_70668520

And this is the SSD i'm talking about -- http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E1T0B-AM/dp/B00OBRFFAS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447438877&sr=1-1&keywords=Samsung+850+EVO+1TB+SSD

My question is whether I can take the 1TB HDD out of the laptop and put in that 1TB SSD from Samsung? The laptop comes with 256 GB SSD already installed inside, so I was wondering if I could rock with that SSD and the 1TB Samsung one as well. 

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

In a word, yes.

• SakinChowdhury
    Options
    If that's a 1 1/4 TB off SSD, how fast do you think this laptop will run in terms of boot times and opening applications like Photoshop?
  • SakinChowdhury
    Options
    *of
  • philetus
    Options

If everything is configured correctly, you can see boot times in the 15 to 30 second area.All the programs will load faster.

• SakinChowdhury
    Options

How do I make sure everything is configured correctly? Is there some sort of checklist i'm supposed to run by? The OS is installed in the SSD it comes with, the 256 GB SSD that is. So if I switch out the 1TB HDD and plop in my 1TB SSD, i won't have to clone or anything right? I could literally just open laptop and switch them right out of the box, right?

• philetus
    Options

Yes. Just a easy swap. You must already have a pretty quick bootup.you just want the added SSD for your programs.

• SakinChowdhury
    Options

My SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB. It comes with this One Stop Install Navigation Manual & Software disc, except I don't think the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro even has a disc drive. What do I even do with this disc? What purpose does it serve? How would I even use it without a disc drive?

• philetus
    Options

Copy it to a bootable USB and see if it will run.For a storage disk though, you only need to install it, boot up and go to Disk Management and create the partition and format it.

• SakinChowdhury
    Options

But what's the purpose for this disc? Is it like a drive to make sure my SSD is working properly or something?

• philetus
    Options

Simple and easy tools for a convenient upgrade

With 840 EVO, your upgrade becomes simple and quick. Using a SATA-to-USB 3.0 connector provided in the laptop upgrade package, for a data size of 100 GB, you can migrate all the data from your HDD to 840 EVO in only 24 minutes—just a third of the time needed for a SATA-to-USB 2.0 connector offered in some previous models.
    Using the One-stop Install Navigator software, your SSD installation will be a snap. The Auto Install guide included in the toolkit will guide you smoothly through the whole installation process. The Samsung Data Migration software helps you through the migration with a straightforward three-step process, recommending user options so that you can migrate your data in the optimal way.
    What’s more, you can conveniently monitor, manage and maintain your new SSD with the Samsung Magician software that’s also offered in the One-stop Install Navigator toolkit. Samsung Magician features tools to help you maximize performance, including benchmarking, advanced OS optimization, disk health status tracking and over-provisioning settings. 840 EVO makes your upgrade a simple job, and your PC’s awesome performance will leave you feeling glad that you did.

• SakinChowdhury
    Options

The laptop hasn't been used yet. In fact I plan on switching the HDD with the SSD right out of the box. Is it recommended to migrate the data on the HDD to the SSD if the laptop hasn't even been used yet? And should I install that disc before or after switching the SSD?

• philetus
    Options

I don't know how they have the HDD ans SSD on the V15 is set up.

If the system and the recovery are both on the m.2 SSD, there won't be any data on the HDD to migrate.

If the system is on the m.2 and the recovery id on the HDD, you Must clone the HDD to the 1TB SSD and not migrate it.

When you get the laptop, go to Disk Management and post a screen shot of the setup. I'll be able to advise you better then.

• SakinChowdhury
    Options

I'll be getting the laptop sometime next week, can you wait until then?

• philetus
    Options

Sure, as far as I know, I'm not going anywhere.