Can I install an M.2 ssd in an Aspire VN7 591G (Nitro)?

speed_brownie
speed_brownie Member Posts: 9 New User

Canadian ones don't come with SSD's, but I'd like to install one and I'm wondering if its possible. If so, what dimensions would it need to be?

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I read a post where the unit didn't come with a m.2 and the user opened it and it did not have the m.2 socket soldered on. The place was there, but no socket.

You will need to see if yours has the socket. If it does, you can install a m.2 SSD.

Here's a guide:

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/acer-aspire-v-nitro-vn7-591g-disassembly/

• speed_brownie
    Thought so, thanks! Mine has the exact same socket pictured in the guide, but I'm curious - can it support PCIe M.2's like the XP941 or just regular SATA III ones?
  • philetus

The Sata has two slots in it. The PCLe has one. If the socket has two bars that the slots the slots go on you will not be able to use the PCLe.Look at the socket and see if the (one slot) PCLe will go in.

• speed_brownie
    The port looks exactly like the one in that guide - a whole bunch of pins on the left, and 5 on the right. I assume that means one slot? Because the Lite On SSD has two notches in it.
  • philetus

OK, let me rephrase, the Sata has two notches and the PCLe has one notch.

• speed_brownie
    Even though the port looks like it has one notch, I have no guarantee that my main board (Intel HM 86) can support a PCIe SSD, even though I'm pretty sure the HM87 can... not sure I should waste my money if I can't recognize ports.
  • philetus
    Answer ✓

I found this:"well, first of all: the M.2-slot in the VN7-591G is "only" SATA, PCIe is not supported, as far as I can tell. perhaps (but I do NOT know that) the PCIe will work, but even then only with mSATA-speeds, so its just a waste of money. simply the mainboard does not support M.2-PCIe"

Here:http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/acer-aspire-black-edition-vn7-591g-755e-m-2-boot.766637/