Broken screen on Acer Aspire v5 571G has rendered device unusable

EmmaDuncan
EmmaDuncan Member Posts: 1 New User

Due to a hinge fault (which has not been fixed by Acer 'care', despite device being sent off), the touchscreen on my aspire 571 has broken. The 3 large cracks across the screen were caused by closing the laptop, and the corner of the screen catching the hinge. Despite having never left the house or being manhandled in any way. Great.

After fighting the screen input, (with the help of an external keyboard and laptop!) and several near misses with the eager-to-let-me-spend Windows Store (thank god for trusty ctrl+alt+delete) I still can't access the settings without opening hundreds of other tabs, and the touchscreen instantly clicking out of the menu.

so my question is: is there any keyboard shortcut or way of connecting to an external device/screen which could fix my problem? In the long run, I hope to have the screen replaced (costing a small fortune from Acer's 'friendly' care team) however in the meantime my laptop is totally unusable, and I cant access any files which I have neglected to back up to a HDD. 

Has anyone had the same problem/found a solution? Short of buying a Dell or a Sony? Thanks Smiley Happy