Brand New VX 15 crashing after latest nvidia driver update (378.78)

Options
Nerph
Nerph Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire VX 15, and when updating the nVidia Geforce drivers to the latest ones (378.78) through the Geforce Experience app, the laptop crashes with a blue screen of death. I've had 2 types of crashes: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR and DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.

I've had to completely reset Windows 10 due to this, as not even removing the driver (and everything nVidia) seemed to fix the issue.

As I bought this laptop to game with, it's important to keep graphic drivers up to date. Is there any advice you can give about this issue?

Kind Regards. 

Best Answer

• Nerph
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good news! It seems nvidia have fixed the issue Smiley Happy The latest drivers 381.65 seem to be running stable on the VX5-591G.

You can download them here: 

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/117271

I'd HIGHLY advise making a restore point before doing this though, just in case something were to go wrong.

Enjoy!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

VX5-591G?

if so, check BIOS version and if below 1.03, please update it:

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

check BIOS DATE/Version string

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.03_A_A.zip?acerid=636227361209923837&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20VX5-591G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Nerph
    Options

Hello,

It is indeed a VX5-591G. I checked the bios version through the way you said and it seems to be 1.03. I attached an image of the info seen in the msinfo32 window.

1dfb89e0d48523e7e7d275f59838cf0e

Is there anything else I can do?

Kind Regards.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Try with a nvidia previous version, if it still crash, give Acer support service a call but keep in mind that only drivers on Acer support website are officially supported.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Nerph
    Options

Ok, thank you for your help Smiley Happy

• Alen
    Alen Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Have you fixed the problem? 

Im on the same model and i getting the same error.. (driver power state failure)

im on the latest bios

• shizzzzel
    shizzzzel Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Ok, I have the same model laptop and I had the same problems.  There is no need to reinstall windows 10, it is just simply that the latest nvidia drivers are not stable on this laptop yet.  This is what I recommend to fix this problem, until the newer drivers are stable.  Go to device manager, click on display adapter, click on the nvidia 1050i and disable it. ( by disabling this, it will prevent any more BSOD while you install the new driver I recommend)  Now, download Nvidia driver 13.7319 and install this ( clean install).  This driver is about 4 months old, but it is the newest one that is stable on this VX 15 laptop.  You should be good to go, enjoy.

• Alen
    Options

I was just booting up in safemode and uninstalling the driver.. 

Can you plz post a link for the stabil driver? cant find any driver calld 13.7319

EDIT: Im just gonna try with 378.49

• shizzzzel
    shizzzzel Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Please let me know how that 378.49 install went.  I installed 378.92/378.78/ and 378.66  They were all unstable and caused blue screen power kernal failures

• Nerph
    Options

I'm going to make a post on the nvidia forums so they are aware their latest drivers are causing this specific laptop to crash.

At the moment I'm using the drivers it came with out of the box, I haven't even updated to the drivers on the acer support page. Have either of you tried those drivers?

VGA Driver
    Date: 2016/12/21 Version: 21.21.13.7319 Vendor: NVIDIA Size: 462.5 MB

^ Those are the ones I'm talking about.

Kind Regards.

• Alen
    Options

Its not working.. im gonna give it a try with your link thx

• rocavlad
    rocavlad Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi guys . i have the same problem here . both it today and BAM . blue screen evary 5-7 minutes . i reinstalled my windows 4 times..still nothing . i will try with the old nvidia drivers . and see if the problem persists

• claypool6
    claypool6 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

First off shizzzzel was right on the money with starting up and as quickly as possible using the device manager to disable the 1050ti.  This at least gives you enough stability to carry out the next steps.

It appears that Microsoft attempts to "help" you by installing drivers through windows update.  As other users have noted, because this is a mobile solution, only drivers directly from Acer should be used to ensure stability.  You can try to install the latest from Nvidia, but your milage may vary (ie you may blue screen repeatedly and want to throw your new laptop out the window).  So, first step for me was to download a Microsoft utility to "ignore" Microsoft's updates to my video drivers.  The utility is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10

There's a link to download the "Show or Hide updates troublshooter package"

Use this utility to identify the update for the Nvidia driver, and choose to ignore it.

Next, we go here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7094?b=1

Locate the driver for the Nvidia VGA driver, and download that package.  These are the drivers that
    Nerph identified in post #11 and come in around 462.5 MB.  Unzip the file, run the setup program, and perform a "clean install."

You'll be prompted to restart afterwards.

After I ran through all of this (after several system restores and tearing my hair out for several hours) my system appears to be stable.  If later I find that the BSOD issue starts happening again, I'll update, but for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• Nerph
    Options

Thank you claypool6 for your reply, it is very helpful. Hopefully your laptop stays stable with the drivers from the Acer support page, please keep us updated, then I will update to those drivers as well.

• claypool6
    Options

Posting this here for later review:

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/New-Acer-VX-15-Battlefield-1-grapich-issues/m-p/479834#U479834

My previous post covered how I "made it work" but clearly just making it work isn't what we're looking for out of gaming laptops, we want the latest drivers, best performance, etc.  I'm going to try the steps outlined in that post as well to see if I can get a more recent version of the drivers working.  It appears that the site references provides tweaked versions of Nvidia's latest drivers for the laptop crowd.  Fingers crossed, will test when I get home.

• Nerph
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good news! It seems nvidia have fixed the issue Smiley Happy The latest drivers 381.65 seem to be running stable on the VX5-591G.

You can download them here: 

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/117271

I'd HIGHLY advise making a restore point before doing this though, just in case something were to go wrong.

Enjoy!

• Regular_newUser
    Regular_newUser Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

Hey any word on 382.53? Has anyone tried it?

• Nerph
    Options

The latest drivers are 382.33 and these work fine. Previous ones have worked as well, if you don't plan to install the latest ones.

• Regular_newUser
    Regular_newUser Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks!! Im new here, basically this is the gaming laptop Ive owned. With dekstop its fine, just download the latest ones. Im a bit skeptical with the driver stability after going through this thread. Just wondering if I should worry updating from NVIDIA itself. What do you guys do?

• claypool6
    Options

So, I'm sort of a "if its not broke don't fix it" kind of guy.  After my previous post of disabling Microsoft's driver update and using the one direct from Acer, I haven't played with anything else.  I DID recently have Microsoft push another driver update that broke the machine again (even after telling it not to install that update, as outlined previously).  I just reran the procedure of disabling the display driver, deleting the driver Microsoft pushed, and reinstalling the driver provided by Acer.  If I'm feeling brave I'll give the "newest" NVIDIA drivers a shot one of these days, but I'll echo other's suggestions, make a restore point first!