Bad Touchpad / Motherboard?

Options
GatorFist
GatorFist Member Posts: 5 New User

I am looking for another tech geek like myself.  My laptop had a bad capacitor (a leg broke, somehow) so I replaced the capacitor on the motherboard.  However, when I put everything back together, laptop works great but the touchpad is dead.  Device manager shows it if I turn on view hidden devices (see attached screenshot).

Additionally, I booted a windows 7 install disc (as the mouse always works in there) to rule out a software problem, and the touchpad did not work there either.

Can anyone test if unplugging the ribbon cable for the touchpad causes the symptoms in the screenshot?  I am trying to determine if I need to replace the touchpad or if I accidentally damaged something on the motherboard.

Also of note, the left and right mouse buttons dont work, even though those are physically on the motherboard.  (although I am not convinced this means it is the mobo, since device manager seems to have disabled the entire mouse "device")

Thanks fellow tech nerds Smiley Happyproblem.bmp

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I would bet the touchpad ribbon cable connection is not connected correctly or securily enough.

• GatorFist
    Options

I have removed and reconnected the cable several times now, with no luck.  I bought a new ribbon cable that should be here monday.  Not optomistic, but it was the cheapest piece to replace.

• philetus
    Options

They usually have some conductive tape grounding the trackpad. Check that for a good ground. There is also this fix.2016-03-11_1724.png

• GatorFist
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I added the ground wire and confirmed continuity between the touchpad grounding point and a different known ground on the motherboard. Still no luck, unfortunately Smiley Sad
  • philetus
    Options

Boot from a linux live disk and see if it works there. If it doesn't, it's probably a dead trackpad or a hardware problem on the motherboard.

• GatorFist
    Options
    New ribbon cable did not fix it either. Could you advise if this is the same error that is received with the touchpad disconnected? Trying not to pull my hair out over here...
  • philetus
    Options

If you were to unplug it, Windows wouldn't know it existed and probanly wouldn't give a touchpad error.

You never did say what model laptop this is.

• GatorFist
    Options
    Oops sorry. Its a v3-571-6844 with the Elan touchpad. Also, oddly, with the touchpad completely removed, uninstall device manager driver, reboot -> the touchpad comes back with Code 24. That's why I am concerned it might be a motherboard issue.