Aspire VN7-791G WiFi Drops

Options
Davidsm
Davidsm Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello. Probably there are a lot of posts about the same problem, but I am quite tired surfing the net so I am making post for my convenience.

I recently bought this laptop and I encountered few problems.
First my wifi droped every 5-10minutes and stayed disconected for about 2minutes and sometimes was Limited Connectivity. So I disabled BT, but my WiFi still was dying every 5 mins or so the only benefit by disabling BT I got was that all i needed to do was Reconnect and WiFi was back up. Also, internet is much slower than on my other devices.

Windows 8.1

WNA-Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222/Latest Drivers.
I have tried everything. From trying to install different drivers to changing power settings.
My rooter is fine, 100% sure.
So the question is, did acer put faulty parts inside quite expensive laptop or is it problem with the drivers?

Is there a fix or should I send computer to warranty? Because it is frustrating, when you can't use features
that laptop was desined for. Plus i am sure, that with WiFi usb adaptor internet would be fine, but what's  the point
of occupying usb port when you already have WNA?

And other problem is cracking noice. I am aware that that's hdd, but shouldn't it be less noisy? Or on every laptop it's quite loud?
I am sorry for a quite long post, but i wanted to be specific.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

This is a known problem with the VN7/Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222/Windows 8.1 combo. It might help to set your router to  5GHz.

• Davidsm
    Options

My router doesn't have such options, well it's quite old, buying new would not be a problem, but still, other devices seem to be fine and if the problem would persist that would be truly a waste of money.
    If it's a known issue does acer do something about it and will warranty do someting about it?

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I completely missed the "cracking noise" last night. You shouldn't be getting any loud noises from the HDD. You might want to run a HDD test and/or contact Acer about that and your dropping Wifi.http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• ArturasK
    ArturasK Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi,

Where you able to resolve this?

I'm having similar problem with WIFI on my VN7-791G notebook.

Internet is laggy and any online game is imposible to play.

I have my old notebook V3-772G wich sits on the same wifi network and doesnt have these problems, so it is defenitely a problem with new notebook wifi/BT module drivers.

Regards, Arturas

• Davidsm
    Options

Sadly not yet. Don't have much time on my hands to bring computer to warranty. Though, for a temporary solution you can use wifi adapter, wich does the trick. If you will take your laptop to warranty, please tell me how did it go.