Aspire VN7-791G Issue booting SSD/HDD

Options
JoeDin2056
JoeDin2056 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all,

I reinstalled my operating system the other day. While i was doing this i deleted all partitions on both the SSD and the normal hard drive. I then installed my OS to the normal hard drive.

Now when i boot up the laptopr or restart it, as it turns on after the acer logo i get a message saying it could not find a boot drive. So i have to hold down the power button for a couple of seconds. After holding it down the laptop powers off and back on imidiatly and this time boots up to windows like normal.

I have to do this every time i restart or turn on the laptop. I have been in to the bios and tried to change the boot order to the hard drive but it seems to make no differance. It alsways seem to look for the Windows Boot Manager on the SSD, buts its not their.

The reasion i have installed this way is due to not having enought space on my SSD to install all my windows programs, so i would prefer to use to normal hard drive for my os and software and have my SSD for some of my favorite games.

Also as a test, i reinstalled the laptop and did the same. deleted all my partitions on both the SSD and the normal hard drive. But this time i picked the SSD for the OS and everything worked as normal again. But as i said the SSD dose not have enough space for my needs. So after the test i did the same again but whent back to using the noraml hard drive for my OS.

The booting issue came back stright way.

Please can anyone help.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series/VN7-791G-60GB-SSD/m-p/373035#U373035

it's the way your BIOS model works, the SSD must be only used for OS and the HDD as storage and programs installation.

if you want better speed, you need to swap your SSD with a bigger one.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JoeDin2056
    Options

oh no thats not good to read, the SSD that came with my laptop is 128GB, and my basic install on a computer with just my basic software and the os without updates is around 115GB. That dose not leave much space free for me to use the windows app store and install windows updates.

Is there definatly no way around this? is it possible to install the OS on the normal hard drive but have all the boot infomation on the SSD?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i don't own your model, so i don't have an answer.

by the way reading your issue, i think the BIOS forces the SSD to be the first bootable device.

are you not able to install your "basic software" on HDD instead of SSD?

i don't have any other workaround at the moment.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JoeDin2056
    Options

i supose i could at a push im just a little old fashiond lol i prefer my basic software and my os to be on the same drive. but to get back the space i need i can get over that and install it on the normal hard drive.