Aspire VN7-791 fps drops/lag spikes

Options
Sjooke
Sjooke Member Posts: 15 New User

Hello,

I've had this computer for about 4 months now, and I have one big problem with it. In all games, I get these fps drops or lag spikes or whatever I'm gonna call them. I've tested this and I've figured that my fps drops to about 5-10, and my screen freezes for about 2 seconds. This happens pretty often, and completly destroying the games I play. Experienced this ever since I got the computer. Could anyone please tell me what is going on? 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

any antivirus installed?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Sjooke
    Options
    I use malwarebytes, and i have scanned for virus
  • IronFly
    Options

sometimes spikes, lags etc etc, can be created by HDD access by antivirus realtime protection; it's why i asked about any antivirus.

those issues appears under any power supply? (AC charger or battery)

• Sjooke
    Options
    Yes they do.
  • IronFly
    Options

drivers are updated?

OS installed?

• Sjooke
    Options

Yes they are updated, and I run windows 10.

• Mrriddle
    Mrriddle Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

i believe there is some issues currently going on with WIN 10 and nvidia optimus the new drivers been giving me some grief so ive back tracked to an older version.

• Sjooke
    Options

Can't be, this problem has been around ever since I got the computer, which then had windows 8.1

• Mrriddle
    Options

during the game have you checked the Nvidia GPU Activity see if its playing on gtx card or intel HD, i own similiar laptop to you and plays any game i got quite nicely been quite impressive.

• Pie
    Pie Member Posts: 27 New User
    Options

Do you have an external monitor plugged in?

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Try this, in nvidia geforce experience, in preferences / batteryboost, uncheck or unmark battery boost.

• Sjooke
    Options

Where exactly can I see my nvidia gpu activity? No, I dont have any external monitors and I'm now trying the disabled battery boost thing.

• Mrriddle
    Options

top left one is the icon shows NVIDIA GPU Activity, i had to backtrack to older nvidia graphics update recently since latest one was giving my laptop hell like you couldnt play any games, havnt had a issue since i done it

nv activity.png

• philetus
    Options

Sjooke, have you had any luck with the disable battery boost?

Mrriddle, with the older driver, are you still getting the lags and drops? If no, please tell us the driver you rolled back to.

• Mrriddle
    Options

i went back to 353.54 driver, which is the windows 8.1 350.12 driver on www.geforce.com/drivers

clean installing the latest 358.5 driver still gave me problems may not of been right away but eventually would crash and gpu card would be useless from then on till i reinstalled.

• philetus
    Options

For the drops and lags I found this page to be interesting.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3489863/+120

• Sjooke
    Options

Yes, my nvidia GPU is running the games. No, disabling the battery boost didn't help. About the fan speed thing, I'm not sure how much it helped but I don't think so.

• philetus
    Options

I think a lot of people are finding this thread about Rweverything the best solution.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3489863