Aspire VN7-791: Touchpad driver won't install

Options
matiaslau
matiaslau Member Posts: 3 New User

I am currently running Windows 10 on an Aspire VN7-791 but I can't seem to install the touchpad driver. I use the driver I find on the Acer websites for my model, and the install finishes and at the end of the installation it says that install has been complete. But I can't find any icon on the toolbar, nor can I find the application in my Uninstall list. I also tried the 8.1 driver, run as admin etc etc..

Another weird thing is that in the Device Manager there are two default touchpad drivers. Look at the attached picture. The hardware IDs for these drivers are:

1: HID\VID_046D&PID_C52F&REV_3000&MI_00

2: HID\VID_O9CB&PID_2970&REV_0008&Col01

Please provide me with a working driver or a solution for the problem.

Touchpad, dev manager

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

Does the touchpad work? That means it is installed. In W10 you don't have anymore the synaptics icon, adjusments to the touchpad are make directly in settings.

• matiaslau
    Options

It does work, that's the weird thing.

I work at a computer repair shop and on all of the other Windows 10 laptops with Synaptics installed have the Synaptics icon.

I just want to know why the driver behaves like this.

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

So to be short. I own a 591G with synaptics and the driver does not have any synaptics installed (acer downloaded driver) and all gestures and settings I manage them from windows 10 settings. So it is possible to have the driver without the icon and working perfectly.

And btw, did you check the downloaded driver? Or just rushed setup.exe and done. If you would have checked the folders you would clearly see that there are just the drivers, and nothing more, no third party (aka Synaptics) applications which are installed. Just bare drivers and that's it. So it's obvious from the install setup that Acer does not provide anything more than just the drivers.

Did you open the computer? If yes, did you connect the flex cable correctly. I had a similar issue with the touchpad showing that is installed and functional but not working. I was working in the computer before and I pulled the cable by mistake and thus the connection from the touchpad part (not the end towards the motherboard) wasn't fixed correctly. I just disconnected the cable and reconnected and it worked.

And last but not the least, before assuming that the issue is hardware related, just boot the computer in a different OS (eg ubuntu) using a USB drive and see if there the touchpad it works. If is not working, yes, you can assume the issue is hardware related, otherwise is something software in windows. Since you work in a computer shop this should be a piece of cake.

LE: O lol... Your touchpad is not connected correctly. You did not highlight in your picture that you have an unknown driver eh? I should guess (especially because you cannot zoom it in with click). Open the notebook, be sure you connect correctly the touchpad, delete also the unknown driver from top and scan for hardware changes. If the touchpad is not fried (due to a short because of wrongly connected touchpad) it should see it and it should work. Otherwise check with other OS. If also this fails, and you are sure that is connected correctly, that means that something got fried.

• matiaslau
    Options

The hardware is OK, and the touchpad works according to the HID mouse driver support.

We know the Synaptics 8.1 utility works in Windows 10. I guess the driver must work before the utility can be used.

I think there must be another Touchpad brand used in this model. None of the VID corresponds to Synaptics brand. But Synaptics pad driver is the only mouse driver available from Acer download regardless OS for this SKU.

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

Sorry I missread the first line of your last post. I read that is not working