Aspire VN7-591G - Which Wireless driver?

Bozzy
Bozzy Member Posts: 44

Tinkerer

Title says it all TBH. I have the Aspire VN7-591G, with a qualcomm atheros qca61x4 but I can't find out which model it is.

Both drivers seem to work, the NFA344 may be better / more stable.

Acer care didn't state which card it is, and the Website drivers are;

Atheros Wireless LAN Driver (NFA222 Liteon) 10.0.0.318 49.2 MB 2015/09/08
Atheros Wireless LAN Driver (NFA222 HAI) 10.0.0.318 49.2 MB 2015/09/07
Atheros Wireless LAN Driver (NFA344 HAI) 12.0.0.102 68.4 MB 2015/09/07
Atheros Wireless LAN Driver (NFA222) 10.0.0.318 49.2 MB 2015/07/21
Atheros Wireless LAN Driver (NFA344) 12.0.0.102 68.4 MB 2015/07/21

Any ideas of how to find out without cracking the case open???

Best Answer

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,049 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

May be with HWINFO portable version (no installation).

France
  • Bozzy

Tinkerer

HW info didn't have any more, I did however find a website with the inf file and the Device ID match with the REM statement that matches up with what I thought it may be......

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_003E&SUBSYS_080411AD&REV_20 ;for acer NFA344

https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-inf-file.php?inf=406&chipset=105&system=6

Thanks though!

• amhayt
    amhayt Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

That INF file is for window 7. Can use that for Win10? 

• Bozzy

Tinkerer

It worked on mine OK.

However, over th3 last 3 day's my WiFi has con completely ***

It connects ok on doth bands, but when you realy start pushing data through it 'disconnects' without saying it is. (ping shows timed out) and then 20 sec later you get the warning icon with no internet. disconnecting and reconnecting works but it's so unstable at the moment.

It's been runnig fine since I updated back in September, so God knows what's happened.

I'm trying to understand if it's the LAptop of my Virgin Media router, however, I'm sourcing an Intel 7265 just in case....

[inappropriate content removed]

• Zemich
    Zemich Member Posts: 1 New User

Bozzy, it is most likely a Windows 10 error.
    If you try rightclick and troubleshoot problems, i bet you get the this error: "windows sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing".

If you do, check out this site:

http://www.kapilarya.com/windows-sockets-registry-entries-required-for-network-connectivity-is-missing

Remember to download the .reg files in the comments, they might be needed. Smiley Happy

• Bozzy

Tinkerer

Didn't have any of the windows errors you mentioned, but thanks for the heads up.

Ended up being the wireless card.

Bought an Intel 7625 of ebay for 14 quid, and installed it. Rock stable now!

• Kras3169
    Kras3169 Member Posts: 8 New User

You're one person among MANY who have had problems with that piece of junk Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 wireless network adapter.  I have the same exact problem.  There's 3 pages of complaints about it on the Microsoft website...and nobody seems to be doing anything to correct the problem.  Qualcomm doesn't care, Acer doesn't care, Microsoft doesn't care, etc.  It's incredible Acer put that thing in their "premium" laptops.

The range on it is AWFUL, so I *** over $100 on a WiFi range extender thinking it would help.  It definitely helped with the range but I still constantly get disconnections.  I called Acer's customer support which was a complete waste of time.  They had me a try a bunch of different things that didn't work, then told me to call my internet provider, and if that didn't work that I could mail it overseas to be fixed.  YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!

I'm probably going to change the wireless card on mine as well.  I'm thinking of gonig with the Intel 7625 card as well.  The sticker on the bottom of my laptop says it contains QCNFA344 yet it was installed with a QCA61x4.  That alone seems suspect.  How is that even legal?

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• Potato
    Potato Member Posts: 29 Troubleshooter

If you had a NFA222, how would you understand whether it is HAI or not?

• Bozzy

Tinkerer

Seriously all, just take the plunge....

Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7265

This is what I bought. £15, and about 30 min to open the laptop and swap it out. 866.7mbps connected to my Virgin Meadi router (in line of sight) and I can copy multi gigabyte files of my server wirelessly at 32 / 33 Megabytes a second, rock stable for the past year!

• Potato
    Potato Member Posts: 29 Troubleshooter

Swapping out anything from an ACER VN7 591G 77FH is such a big deal...cables sticked under the keyboard...pieces in very little room...

• Bozzy

Tinkerer

Just take your time, clear a worksurface with good light, and have a couple of bowls fo bits. Take photos all the way, then you can see where everything went when you reverse the process. It's not easy, I admit, but it's not impossible for anyone to do.