Aspire V7 freezes

Options
tomchr
tomchr Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Please help!! Smiley Happy

My Aspire V7 freezes up with the blue lightbulb glowing constant and black screen.

I have to hold in the power up button to restart computer to be able to use it.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,147 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

1. What model do you own exactly?
    2. Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • stevario
    stevario Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

My Aspire V7 is doing the same thing. When I do a shutdown or when the machine goes to sleep the blue light remains illuminated and the machine never shuts down or sleeps.  I have to hold the power button to force a hard reset.  I have an Acer V7 482P 5864.  Has anybody been able to solve this issue?

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

Did you have the latest BIOS?

Do you have the intel management engine up to date? It could be one of the reasons for the issue

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25880/Intel-Management-Engine-Intel-ME-software-for-systems-based-on-3rd-generation-Intel-Processors-or-above-

• stevario
    Options

Thanks for responding. I do have the lastest BIOS from ACER... which is quite old at this point. I will install the latest Intel Management Engine and see if that helps. Thanks!

• Longhaul
    Longhaul Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

My Aspire V7 model number ZQY has the same problem.  I only get a back light when I power on.  What can be done?  Is it a paper weight now?  :-(

• Longhaul
    Options

So does anyone at Acer read these?  No one on this thread has gotten a positive answer yet.

I tried downloading the lastest BIOS, putting it on a FAT32 formatted USB drive, shutting down and then pushing FN and ESC and holding while I push the power button.  NOTHING.

I spent quite a bit of money on this machine. 

• stevario
    Options

Hi Longhaul,

I have no idea of the Acer team reads these... and I do not work for Acer. I am just another Acer customer.  I will try to help you. What exactly is happening on your machine.  Be descriptive.  You said "I only get a back light".  What does that mean?

Once I know the exact symptom I can try to make a recomendation.

Stevario.

• Longhaul
    Options

First of all, I love your avatar.

1) From the system being totally off, I push the power button.

2) - The little blue LED to the left of the battery charging LED comes on

- I can see that the back light for the display is on, but the LCDs are off, thus no light other than the bleed around the edges comes through.

- If I hit Alt-Crt-Del or the Fn F5, I can see the backlight turning off or on.

- Hooking an external monitor to either the HDMI or mini-Displayport does not result in any image on that monitor.  The monitor says "No Signal Found"

- The PC has a SSD, so no sounds from there.

- When I plug in a USB drive, the light on the USB drive comes on, blinks a few times, then stays on.

I'm not sure what else I can tell you.  Just ask, and I'll check.

• stevario
    Options

OK man.  That is good description of the symptom.  Like I said... I am not part of Acer support or any other support.  I just have a lot of computers and have done a lot of builds.  Here is what I would do.

I am not sure plugging up an external display will help much.  Like, until the machine boots into some operating system (Windows/Linux) there are really no drivers loaded for the HDMI port (or other display ports).  So until the machine boots you would not see anything on the external monitor anyway.

Back to troubleshooting your machine.  Do you ever see the Acer splash page?  Like... the first thing that should happen when the machine powers on is the BIOS throws the Acer splash page. At that point you can hit F2 to get into the BIOS menus. Is that working?  If you never see that... there is likely some hardware problem. If you do see that, there is a good chance it is a software problem.  I will comeback to the software probelm.  

Let's talk about a hardware issue.  Next I would probably take out the hard drive and then try to boot the machine. You should see a message on the screen that there is no bootable device.  This would be a good sign.  It would indicate that either the drive is bad or the software on the drive is causing the issue.  These are realtively easy to fix.

If taking out the hard drive has no effect, I would look for the RAM next.  Sometimes that is easy to access on the board... other times it is burried under the board.  If it is easily accessible, I would reseed that RAM. Also... how many sticks are there.  In most modern laptops there is only one port and one stick of RAM... but if yours has two you can try booting with one or the other.  Or you could try to pull RAM from some other machine and test in this machine.  The purpose of all this RAM testing it to isolate/identify a problem with RAM.

However, the truth is, if the machine was booting fine two weeks ago and is now having these symptoms, your RAM is probably fine.  If you have removed the hard drive and reseeded the RAM... and you still cannot even get the ACER splash page to show, you probably have a bad display or a bad motherboard.  These are difficult things to fix and would take some serious committment.  For most people, this would mean the machine is ready for the graveyard.

Let's go back to a software issue.  If you can see the Acer splash page and you can get into the BIOS... you likely have a bad drive, corrupt boot partition or corrupt OS.  These things are all fixable.  If you created a Windows Restore thumb drive while the machine was running... that would be great.  You could boot to that and attempt to restore Windows.  If you did not, you can likely get Acer to mail you a thumb drive with the restore image for a nominal charge.

Let me knwo if this is helpful at all.  I will check back and respond if you post your next steps and more symptoms.

Stevario.

• Longhaul
    Options
    Ok, here is what I have done:
    [NOTE: Nothing comes up on the display. Only the back light turns on or off]

I removed the bottom cover (only way to get at DRAM and SDD)
    Reseated the DRAM, and unplugged the SDD.
    Powered pressed power button, nothing. Back light did power on.

Replugged in the SDD, powered on, nothing.

I have read posts & watched YouTube videos where for different models, the BIOS can get corrupted and reflashing with the latest saves the PC. The symptoms are the same as mine. The fix involves downloading the latest BIOS, unzipping and placing on a USB drive. Plug the drive into the Acer, push and hold the FN and Esc keys ato the same time, then push the power button. Release the two keys after a few seconds and the machine flashes the BIOS that is on the USB drive.
  • Longhaul
    Options
    The PC has been sitting here while I typed this up on my phone. The fans are now running. Something is alive in there. :-)
  • stevario
    Options

Good luck!  Let me know if you bring it back to life.

• Longhaul
    Options
    No, still the same black screen of death. It's just could it be a corrupted BIOS display driver?
  • stevario
    Options

I really do not know what else to tell you.  I assume it is no longer under warranty... or you would already have sent it to Acer.  I am really not sure what you should do next.

Good luck with it.

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options
    If the system will not show the Acer splash scren when you first power it on, our suggestion would be service. We do not have a recovery BIOS or instructions we can provide to flash the BIOS if the system is unresponsive. I suspect a hardware failure and recommend you contact the Acer service center in your region.
  • Longhaul
    Options
    Thanks Blanchard,

I'll do that and post the process as it happens. I've really enjoyed this PC and it should have enough performance to last a few more years.

Do you remove the hard drive when you send these in? I don't like having my personal information that accessible by anyone.
  • Blayn-Acer
    Options

You are free to remove the hard drive prior to sending the system in if you are worried about data security. We will test the system with a drive we know is in good working order. Obviously, if the issue is somehow related to a software issue on your hard drive, we would not be able to duplicate it and it could result in us being unable to find and fix the issue. 

• Longhaul
    Options
    Thank you, I will try to figure out how to send it in for repair today.
  • Longhaul
    Options

Ok,

So here it is a bumch of days later.

I sent the laptop in and paid the "The standard fee for out of warranty repair for this model is $359.99 USD"

They were fairly quick in turning it around.  I got it back today.  In the laptop, between the lid and keyboard was a note that stated "REPLACED lcd.  sYSTEM PASSED ALL TESTING. SYSTEM CHECKS OK."

Well it's NOT ok.  I put my SDD back in and booted.  The ACER screen came up and it sat there for a little while, longer than it usually does.  The next message is "Default Boot Device Missing or Failed..."

So I pulled the connector to the mother board and found that the label on in had been pinched in between the connectors.  I also noticed that a flex ribbon over by the battery area was kind of mangled.  (I have a picture and will post if I can figure out how).  I pulled the label out from with in the connector and replugged all back in.  I anxiously awaited reboot, and it FAILED again.

I noticed that pieces of the label were missing, so I disconnected the HDD connector again, looked closely at the connector.  I found a piece of paper stuck on the motherboard side of the connector and a piece stuck in the connector itself.  I pulled them both out and tried booting again... and it FAILED with the same message again! suspect the connector got damaged when they crushed the label in.

ACER SUPPORT:  Any ideas?

• Blayn-Acer
    Options

Longhaul,

Can you send me a PM with your serial number and case number? I want to look into this to see what I can figure out.