Aspire V5 591G bios recovery

Options
therat
therat Member Posts: 2 New User

Bios update bricked the notebook.

My battery was not detected properly in windows 10 so  I followed a suggestion in the forum to update the bios.

When the utility for update ran it rebooted my machine then for a glimpse a DOS like TUI progress bar appeared afterwards the screen flickered and then nothing. I left it like that for 10-15 minutes in the end I tried to reboot but again the same black underlid screen apperaed and the battery indicator blinked.

I found posts for other Acer models that offered the option to emergency recover a bios by uploading it on a USB flash drive and boot with Fn+Esc pressed. When following this procedure indeed the notebook tries to enter this recovery mode, but the Bios file for my laptop downloaded from acer support site, doesn't contain neither .ROM, nor .BIN, nor .FD files. When extracting the single ZRY_108.exe manually with 7-zip I only see windows executables and libs like FlsHook.exe iscflashx64.dll, BiosImageProcx64.dll etc.

The manuals don't say anything about recovering bios.

Please help, does anyone have a procedure on how to do a recovery on this moded?

Answers

• therat
    therat Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Just to update in case someone else faces this.

I left the laptop off and not on the charger for more time, a couple of days. Then when I took it back at the warranty repair shop, when I was explaining the issue to the technitian, I booted the laptop and guess what... it showed a bios screen!

It showed an error that no bootable volumes are found, but still it was not the black screen from before. I entered bios and saw that the version was prececly the one to which I upgraded, but the settings were reset. I figured it out because I set the mode to Legacy and now it changed back. 

So without me reseting the CMOS memory, somehow the notebook seem to have done this automatically.

I couldn't open it to do it myself because it is still in warrenty. But if someone hits this bug, probably worth to try to reset CMOS before thowing it in the garbage.