Aspire V5 571PG - Black Screen of Death - Tried what others have, what am I doing wrong?

Options
Stugg
Stugg Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi there!

I am stuck with a Bios flash for my Aspire V5 571PG. I have been trying what I see on forums and I cannot seem to make it work even though others claim to have had success, I am hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Background

My HDD failed, and I replaced it with a SSD. Upon reassembling the computer everything went together fine but then on power up I get absolutely nothing on the screen, I believe this to be the Black Screen of Death.

To fix this issue I believe I need to reflash the Bios, without having any display there is a key sequence to boot the Bios off a USB, but to date I have not been able to get this to work.

What I am Doing

I have downloaded a Bios version from the Acer download centre by searching based on my SSID and grabbing the only Bios version I can find which has a DosFlash folder in it, this is 1.05, the oldest version.

After downloading I extract the contents and copy all the files from the DosFlash folder onto a fresh, FAT32 formatted, USB stick, I end up with this;

Capture.PNG

I then take the USB, plug it into the laptop and try all the boot combinations I have read. Here is what I have tried;

1. Hold both FUNCTION and ESCAPE - press POWER - wait, wait, wait - I get nothing
  2. Hold both FUNCTION and ESCAPE - press POWER - wait, wait, wait - release FUNCTION and ESCAPE - I get nothing
  3. Hold both ALT and ESCAPE - press POWER - wait, wait, wait - I get nothing
  4. Hold both ALT and ESCAPE - press POWER - wait, wait, wait - release FUNCTION and ESCAPE - I get nothing
  5. Remove power cable and battery, insert USB, hold the combinations above and then insert the power cable - I get nothing
  6. Press F2 on startup - I get nothing
  7. Press F12 on startup - I get nothing
  8. Press F10 on startup - I get nothing

Side note - When I say 'I get nothing', the laptop is switching on, the fan is spinning and the keyboard lights up. I just get nothing from the screen.

If I can get any help here it would be greatly appreciated, I am about to throw this thing against a wall...

Cheers.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,094 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

First test:

Have you tried to connect an external monitor or LCD TV in using the VGA or HDMI port?

[Fn]+[F5] - Display toggle: Switches display output between the display screen, external monitor (if connected) and both.

France
  • Stugg
    Stugg Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me Ace, yes. I have tried this early on when trying to diagnose the issue, unfortunately it did not work.