Aspire V5 571G - Help with black screen - corrupt BIOS?

Options
Mystro
Mystro Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi there,

I'd appreciate some help with the problem I have with my notebook - Aspire V5 571G.

The computer won't boot (post or anything).  It powers on, the light on the ON button turns on and I can hear the fan, but this is all.  The scree is black, no ACER logo or anything else.  Just before this happened, the screen went all screwy.  I've turned the notebook off  and now I get nothing.

I did remove the battery and drained the power, but this did not help.

A Google search about this issue come up with a corrupt BIOS as the most probable cause.  However I cannot recover the BIOS using an USB flashdrive as the ACER BIOS files do not appear to include the *.fd file any more.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Answers

• vlynn8800
    vlynn8800 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

Hi, I have a post about the .fd file and what I did to get it to usb here:  http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/V5-473p-Others-Updating-bios-with-Black-Screen-Solution/m-p/429077#U429077

Also, forgot to mention in the post that I used Rufus (a free usb bootable program) to format the usb.  I put it on uefi/both setting when formatting the usb.  Hope this helps.

• Mystro
    Mystro Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi vlynn8800, Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately it did not workfor me.   I run the BIOS exe file and found the extracted files in the c:\users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Temp directory.  However, these were the same files I've extracted from the archive using WinRar.  There were no .rom or .bin or .fd files.  There is however a large BIOS.cap which may be the file that contains the information required to recover the BIOS.

• vlynn8800
    Options

Hi, yes, I believe the cap file is the bios file you need.  I've only done it with the fd file, but up to you if you want to try it.  Or just google how to update bios with a cap file.  Google is always helpful.

• vlynn8800
    Options

I see there's an old bios file with a rom file in it on your mode's update page, version 1.22.  You could use that to flash, then update it with the new version.  Hope this helps.