Aspire V5-552P has short wifi range

Options
Elija2
Elija2 Member Posts: 13 New User

I have an Aspire V5-552P and ever since a few months ago its wifi range has been really small. It has to be right next to a router for it to connect when it didn't have this problem before. All of my other devices can connect from a distance just fine so I know it is not a problem with the router. Is my wireless adapter faulty?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,618 Trailblazer
    Options

You should still qualify for phone or online chat support. Click the support button at the top of this page. Choose you country than select contact Acer. Have your SNID ready. Do it now.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wifiwizard
    wifiwizard Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I had the same issue with my Aspire V5.  I had to be basically on top of the router to get a connection. 

i tried downloading all of the drivers and it was no help.  What i did to fix this problem.

1. Removed the 12 or so screws from the bottom of the laptop and removed the plastic case.

2.  Located the wifi card

3.  Made sure that both the black and white wires were connected to the wifi card. (in my case the white wire was completely disconnected from the card, i reattached it to the opposite prong adjacent where the black was connected)

4.  Put all screws back in and powered up the laptop. 

5. Went upstairs approximately 30 feet from my router and tried to connect to the internet.

6.  Connected no problem and now my laptop works perfectly.

• JackE
    Options

>>>in my case the white wire was completely disconnected >>>

Nice detective work! Do you think the white wire could have worked itself loose or was it probably just not connected during assembly? Was it a power supply wire?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• wifiwizard
    wifiwizard Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I am not sure if it was never connected or worked its way loose.  I just purchased the laptop refurbished 2 weeks ago and was never able to connect to the internet at a distance of more then 2 feet from the router.  

My guess would be that it worked itself loose during shipping.  One thing that i did notice is that when i connected the white wire back to the card it didnt make a very solid reassuring connection .  I would of expected it to snap in place but rather it felt as if it was just sitting on top of the connection loosely.  I plan to remedy this by placing a small piece of electrical tape over the connection to secure it a little better if it works itself loose again.

• rebecca_m_cohen
    rebecca_m_cohen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Was your WIFI problem resolved? If so how?

I have the same issue, but don't have time to send this off for warranty service. 

• JackE
    Options

Seems so. Wifiwizard wrote earlier above >>>What i did to fix this problem.>>> 

1. Removed the 12 or so screws from the bottom of the laptop and removed the plastic case.

2.  Located the wifi card

3.  Made sure that both the black and white wires were connected to the wifi card. (in my case the white wire was completely disconnected from the card, i reattached it to the opposite prong adjacent where the black was connected)

4.  Put all screws back in and powered up the laptop. 

5. Went upstairs approximately 30 feet from my router and tried to connect to the internet.

6.  Connected no problem and now my laptop works perfectly.>>>

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rebecca_m_cohen
    rebecca_m_cohen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Jack E/NJ

Thanks for the post. Tried that method. Both my white and black wires are connected securely. However, this did not resolve my short range wifi issue.

I still have to be within 10 ft of the router to get good signal. I've updated my drivers. I'm not sure what else to do.