Aspire V5-122p stuck on Acer boot screen

fribble
fribble Member Posts: 4 New User

I did a clean factory reset on windows 8 using the acer recovery option.  Everything was fine until I tried to update to windows 10( I had done the free windows 10 earlier on this machine with no problems.).  After windows 10 installed and the system was done updating, the system said it needed to reboot and now it wont boot up.  It is stuck on the acer boot up screen.  I have tried every option in the recovery section that pops up after 2 unsuccessful reloads.  It just hangs on the acer screen. It wont let me boot to safe mode, I cant reset, I cant restore. I don't care about the files on the pc, I just want the pc to be functional again. I have a good restore image on a usb drive, but the only way it works is within windows with the acer recovery option.  When I try to do the restore or repair options, it just says this pc cant be repaired.  I even tried tried the windows 10 installation/recovery media and recovery using a usb drive and I get an error on that.  I have tried everything I can think of.  Right now the laptop is a brick.  Does anyone have any ideas on a way to repair this thing to make it boot up? Thanks in advance for any help.

Best Answer

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Hi,

From the USB I would select custom install, not upgrade or repair. Then when you reach the disk selection panel select the partition where you had previously installed windows, and click on the format button which is below the selection window. After formating select the partition to install windows.

Do this with a windows 10 installation USB. I think it should work.

Be careful, because in this way you will lose all the data which is on that partition.

Answers

• sharky25k

Hi,

What error do you get when you use a windows 10 USB for reinstalling windows?

Do you format the C: drive before installing? Or you select from repair instead of clean install. You should select install, and then format the partition where the previous windows was installed. This should work. If even this would not work,you can always try to delete all partitions from the HDD and let the windows itself to create the partitions again.

• fribble

The error only said this pc could not be repaired and there was no initial error when the problems started, it only hung on the boot.

I'm not sure if the drive was formatted when I reinstalled windows.  I'm assuming it was not, the entire reinstall of windows only took about 30-40 minutes.

While trying to fix it, I tried to select repair and got the could not be repaired error, I tried the reinstall and got an this pc could not be restored error.

If I delete the partition, will windows create a partition and allow me to reinstall from my usb image?

• sharky25k
    Answer ✓

Hi,

From the USB I would select custom install, not upgrade or repair. Then when you reach the disk selection panel select the partition where you had previously installed windows, and click on the format button which is below the selection window. After formating select the partition to install windows.

Do this with a windows 10 installation USB. I think it should work.

Be careful, because in this way you will lose all the data which is on that partition.

• fribble

Thank you so much for your help, deleting the partition worked!  I was able to install windows 10 from the usb and it worked like a charm and I'm up and running.  I really appreciate your efforts, you saved my laptop.

• joliefan
    joliefan Member Posts: 1 New User

sorry to post here. but where do i post a NEW topic? i am new here.

• rickb1
    rickb1 Member Posts: 2 New User

FYI, there is a problem unique to Acer with two of the latest Windows 10 updates version 1511 and 1607. If you've already downloaded and applied those you may likely have issues. Acer support needs to quickly research and issue a patch or other solution.

• fribble

I'm thinking the unique problem has to do with freezing?  This laptop freezes constantly, it is worthless!  That is the reason for the reinstall above, I thought windows was corrupted so I wanted to do a reinstall.  I was searching for solutions and there was supposed to be a windows update to fix the freezing in windows 10.  This stupid laptop will not update, everytime it fails or freezes while trying.  I have given up on windows 10 and was thinking about just reinstalling windows 8 which is what came on this system.  I tried creating a windows 8 boot usb file exactly like I did in my first post, now it is asking me for a product key! I don't have a product key! Supposedly it is embedded in the bios and entered automatically during a reinstall but since the last operating system that was installed was windows 10, not 8.  So now I guess installing windows 8 is out of the question now since I would have to buy windows to get a key.  I am so sick and tired of this Acer product!!!!  I have never had a laptop that was just a completely worthless piece of **bleep**!  This was my last Acer purchase. Complete junk!

[inappropriate content removed]