Aspire V5-122P Unable to shutoff

Options
onetera
onetera Member Posts: 2 New User

When I closed my Aspire V5-122P two days ago I noticed that the fan was still going while it was hibernating. I had to run so I didn't open it up again until several hours later when the fan was still going! My husband, who is an IT guy, was surprised too and tried to turn the computer off...nothing, just the fan still going. He finally reset the computer using the pinhole battery reset on the bottom. That turned the laptop off, but nothing else turned on anymore, not even a beep. We know that the battery was fully charged at that point (the charging light was working). We unplugged the computer, and planed to call Costco to check on the warranty, but didn't have time until today.

Just out of curiosity I tried to plug the computer in one more time, and tried to start it. It booted up totally normal. The battery was still fully charged, and everything reacted normally as far as I can tell. The only thing that is off is the time and date. When I first started it up it still showed the time and date (Tuesday 9:07 am) from 2 days ago when I first closed the computer to put it into hibernation. It seems like the fan was going, but everything else was dead.

My warranty will expire in about a month. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid it will do this again, but then never turn on again.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Try to power it off and check if it freezes again.

if it shutdown, unplug from AC charger wait 1 hour and then try to boot pressing F2, this will enter BIOS.

check hour and date on BIOS, if they are offset, probably is the CMOS battery dying (a bit early since they normally last 5-8 years).

if you are unable to shut it down, before calling CostCo, i would refresh windows (do a backup of your personal data first) and check if issue is still here.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • onetera
    onetera Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks IronFly Smiley Happy

I called Costco, had a nice chat with them and some (clueless) guy from Acer tech support, and now the computer is going in for repair.

I think a switch that controlls the fan is broken. It won't turn the fan on while the computer is running, and won't allow the fan to turn off after it's closed, until you reset the computer with a needle. I bet the same switch also doesn't allow the computer to turn back on, as a protection to overheating. In any case, it is going in for repair today Cat Tongue 

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

You welcome, i hope they will fix it. Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.