Aspire V3 772G overheating

Options
TobyL
TobyL Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi there and a Happy New Year to all.

My Acer Aspire V3 772G that I purchased about 18 months ago is starting to behave quite strangely and I would love to know if anyone has any experience they can share or any solutions to offer.

The machine has started to run more and more slowly and I have no idea why. I have up to date Norton anti-virus, plenty of room on the hard drive, defragment the main drive and try to keep all software up to date.

The other, potentially related issue, I have is overheating. When I run certain online games the left side of the laptop get very hot and I have checked the temperature which get to about 100 degrees C and then the machine shuts down without any warning. I am already using a stand with a fan.

The only thing that I can think of that might be causing this is out of date drivers. When I check from the Device manager it says that all the drivers are up to date and this is confirmed when I look on the Acer site. However, when I go to the Intel site it says that there are more up to date drivers for the integrated graphics card. Should I ignore Acer's information and install the new driver?

Is there anything else that might be causing these problems?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best Answer

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

TobyL,

If you are experiencing slow performance and feel it is related to the overheating, then I would try cleaning out the vents because if the airflow is restricted it can cause poor air circulation that in turn creating overheating issues. I would recommend a can of condensed air (specific to electronics) and use it to try and blow out any dust and build up.

As for the driver, you can use the Intel graphics driver as this may help improve some performance but we would not be able to provide any support for that driver.

If the problem persists, I would recommend contacting our technical support in your region for further assistance.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

TobyL,

If you are experiencing slow performance and feel it is related to the overheating, then I would try cleaning out the vents because if the airflow is restricted it can cause poor air circulation that in turn creating overheating issues. I would recommend a can of condensed air (specific to electronics) and use it to try and blow out any dust and build up.

As for the driver, you can use the Intel graphics driver as this may help improve some performance but we would not be able to provide any support for that driver.

If the problem persists, I would recommend contacting our technical support in your region for further assistance.

• paulng
    paulng Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi Ryan,

I've no idea how to use condensed air to clean up the internal parts of the notebook. Not familiar with opening the back cover also. The notebook is possibly dusty and trapping lots of heat inside.

Is there a dedicated cooling pad that I can buy for this notebook model? Something that fits exactly and can forcefully purge out all the hot air? Does the Aspire V3 notebook blow air out or suck air in?

I'm extremely disappointed with my purchase, trying to play the game Diablo III. The FPS drops to less than 10, and sometimes near 0.

My notebook specs are i7-4702MQ, Nvidia GTX 760M, 16GB Ram.

I find the area near the Tab, Esc, Caps Lock key extremely hot.

Thanks for helping!

Paul

• vasco_tech88
    vasco_tech88 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options

You can buy compressed air cans in common computer or electronic stores. U can also use a home air compressor but you have to be caureful to not danify the laptop.

For common cleaning (about every 1-2 months):

-Turn off the laptop

-Blow compressed air from the side/back opening (in reverse direction)

-Blow compressed air from the fan entrance (in normal direction)

-Repeat as much as needed

-Remove HDD/memory cover and blow air from there

For bigger cleaning (about every year):

-Find someone with knowledge or get the proper tools and good youtube videos

-Open your laptop (this will void your warranty)

-Blow compressed air to the parts (not very strong air flow)

NOTE: If needed, hold the CPU fan with a clip, in case the air flow is too strong

• vasco_tech88
    vasco_tech88 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options

In order to avoid overheating of the laptop, i got a cooling pad (Cooler Master Notepal XL) and I am very happy with the results:

GAME: Assassins Creed III

SETTINGS: 1920x1080 (on dual external screens), Texture quality (Max), Shadows (Min), Anti-aliasing (Min)

BEFORE: CPU ~88-90'C, GPU: ~70'C

AFTER: CPU: ~70-75'C, GPU: ~60'C

temp.png

• Vobexo
    Vobexo Member Posts: 44 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

we have the same problem with the V3 772G.

Cleaning the fan not solve this Problems.

Overheating and throttling CPU at Furmark/Prime 95.

We send it to Acer for repair, dont wait to long befor the Warranty is off!

After 8-10 Days the V3 arrived back, running like a new one!

Greetings

Vobexo

• jkim
    jkim Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Mine is severely overheating at the moment, and out of warranty by about 3 months.

What can I do?

I'm really angry that it started overheating shortly after warranty expired.

I even tried opening the back to use the air duster.