Aspire V3 771G - No Network via Wifi

Options
tkacan
tkacan Member Posts: 6 New User

Dear Acer Community and Support,

I am using an Acer Aspire V3 771G model notebook that I bought around 2 years ago from Finland. It has Windows 8 installed on it since the time I bought it. It also uses the Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 model wifi/bluetooth component i believe with the 10.0.0.225 drivers. I have been getting along with it quite well since recently. My Wifi connection started acting up like turning off and on back after some time passes. So I went ahead and checked up the users that were having various problems with that, they all reinstalled their drivers and it seemed to fix the problem was what they stated. So I decided to reinstall mine as well I don't know what I was thinking then but I did uninstall the drivers from the device manager which might be a mistake. I then visited Acer's download page for the drivers and got the -263 driver which is more recent and wanted to install that instead, It asked me again for a second time to uninstall the drivers (since I didn't uninstall it completely before I guess, I don't know), and I did so and then reinstalled it. After It finished It asked me to restart and I went and restarted the computer. But  after that I noticed that there is no networks found on the networks section at the taskbar.I tried uninstalling it properly then and reinstalled it restarting each time of course. Problem remained even if I installed the old drivers. So I panicked and did a system restore (which was from the start>general>advanced startup since the one at control panel doesn't work "due to my firewall" as it says might be due to DEP - no idea on that also -) and restored to a point which is 4 days before that day. It looked ok but I believed the problem with disconnection might still persist so I did the correct reinstallation that time but same thing happened again and no networks was found. Now I can't restore the pc to that point again since the restore point got removed somehow and I am stuck with its current state as it is now. Can anyone help out with that, what should i do to solve this issue that I have in my hands now, it got me confused a lot. Can this be due to DEP or my Antivirus/Firewall (Zone-Alarm is installed on it now) perhaps? I don't want to lose my current data and want to preserve the pc as it is if possible. Many thanks in advance.

P.S. The reason for me to uninstall the drivers via device manager was to install the unofficial drivers from here: https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=74&system=7 but it said the drivers are for another system than Windows 8 but it is for Windows 8 which is what the site on the link says?! Can anyone confirm this drivers are for Windows 8 or the site is a legitimate/trustable one? If so may I install this whql drivers manually by any chance?

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

sometimes antivirus can block some drivers installation expecially on network side, so in my opinion uninstall it and retry to install it.

about trustable drivers wesites, you can try Atheros drivers from here:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=1895&lang=fr

this a trustable website.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tkacan
    Options

I tried it via safe mode also now but it still doesn't work. I feel like I am out of solutions on this. Maybe I should try microsoft forums to see if i can get some help since this is likely a system related problem.

• IronFly
    Options

you can't install drivers in safe mode.

have you checked under device manager, click on View tab and select Hidden devices, if your wifi adapter is listed under network adapters?

• tkacan
    Options

Yes it is there but there is no networks listed. What might cause this?

I did a recovery to the point when I uninstalled(along with the driver software checked) the wifi/bluetooth driver from the device manager but this is when I did not uninstall the drivers yet but it still is not working seeing no network etc. no packets and all.

• IronFly
    Options

it's turned ON but can't find any networks?

try to put the laptop at about 10 inches from your wifi router/mode and check if it can find the network; if this work can be a loose antenna cable on your laptop.

• tkacan
    Options

Yes it is turned on atm, no networks, device is quite close to my router and I don't think a loose antenna is the problem here since it was working fine like an hour ago when I restored it 4 days before but as I said I tried to install new drivers and it went limp again so to speak.

• IronFly
    Options

ok, if it's listed on device manager, right click it, choose to uninstall and tick to uninstall software too if asked.

if you have an entry of drivers installation on installed programs too, uninstall from here too.

then reboot and re-install the drivers linked in my previous post.

• tkacan
    Options

I just did what you asked me of and it still doesn't work, it exactly says this: not connected - no connections are available and when i click the wifi bars which is on the taskbar that has the red circle with a white cross on it, it states that there is no networks found and airplane mode seems to be off as well and I go to adapters and Wi-Fi seems enabled it also states the model of the card/components. I press on it and see the status and there is no packets sent or received so i think it doesn't work at all. But it must be on the software side i guess. Can that be because of the registry, might it got corrupted somehow on the uninstallation or something?

I tried to make a diagnose for wi-fi and it says "there might be a problem with the driver for the wi-fi adapter", I try and apply the fix for this and it fails after.

• IronFly
    Options

interesting.

a good test will be a run with a live Ubuntu OS, if wifi adapter works, it's a software issue, if not can be an hardware issue.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

download the 32 bit version and create a bootable USB flash drive or CD, then boot from it without installing but just running a live enviroment.

• tkacan
    Answer ✓
    Options

Found out a huge thread about this, planning to change the wifi card with an intel one now, if interested: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/windows-8-wireless-issues-qualcomm-atheros-ar9485/b11f3df4-aa84-4cd4-8036-558e8027cce0

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
  • IronFly
    Options

i would try to uninstall Zone alarm before spending money, as stated by me and the article posted by JordanB.

• Bozzy
    Bozzy Member Posts: 44

Tinkerer

Options

I ended up changing my Qualcom card for an Intel 7625 card, and since then my connection has been as soolid a a rock since.

I managed to pick one up of the bay for £14 delivered and it took about 10 min to install.

I would reccomend this if you feel up to it!