Aspire V3 574G says "No Bootable Device" after receiving official BIOS upgrade to InsydeH20 v1.27

syedrakib
syedrakib Member Posts: 1 New User

Just got this laptop at my new work place. Came with Windows 8.1 on it. Everything was perfect.

Opened the Acer Care Center program. The program notified about 4 updates available: 3 general updates, 1 critical update.

The 1 critical update was about a Bios update that said "Acer v3-574 BIOS update version 1.27". I clicked update all. All the general updates updated perfectly; the critical update required a reboot.

OS rebooted. Some dos screen showed that BIOS is upgrading. BIOS Upgraded. From then on i am getting this No Bootable Device error and not able to start windows.

IMG_20160614_132256.jpg

IMG_20160614_132308.jpg

Then i pressed Control+Alt+Del to reboot the machine. When the Acer logo is shown, i pressed F2 to enter into the InsydeH20 BIOS Setup Utility.

Many community posts say that boot problems can be solved by disabling Secure Boot. From boot settings in the InsydeH20 BIOS Setup Utility, i have set SECURE BOOT to [Disabled] like below. Then saved and exited the BIOS.

IMG_20160614_134044.jpg

Even after this, the same "No Bootable Device" screen shows up.

I press Control+Alt+Del to reboot the machine. When the Acer logo shows up, i press F12 to bring up the boot device selector menu. Even the boot device selector shows no available devices with Secure Boot turned off.

IMG_20160614_142951.jpg

Now i press Control+Alt+Del to reboot the machine. When the Acer logo shows up, i press the F2 button to bring up the InsydeH20 BIOS Setup Utility. I go to boot settings, and from there change the Boot Mode from UEFI mode to Legacy mode.

IMG_20160614_143516.jpg

While changing from UEFI to Legacy, the BIOS warns that "Microsoft recommends executing Windows 8 and above versions to run under UEFI boot mode to enjoy the full features of windows."

IMG_20160614_143529.jpgIMG_20160614_143547.jpg

Now i save the BIOS settings and exit from BIOS. The machine restarts and now it is able to load windows - in Legacy boot mode. Also, when the Acer logo shows up during boot time, now if i press F12 to bring up the Boot device selector menu, it shows all the avaialable devices correctly.

IMG_20160614_144033.jpg

This Legacy Boot Mode runs windows 8.1 fine. HOWEVER, something is not working correctly. Is the legacy boot mode causing problems with graphics drivers? 

All the pixels look bloated and fat. The screen resolution is in low resolution. When i go to set screen resolution, it says that the highest available option is still lower than the possible resolution for this machine

IMG_20160614_145522.jpg

Before this mess (which began by installing the official update to BIOS pushed in by Acer Care Center), i once tried out Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on this same machine from a USB startup disk by booting it from the disk - everything was fine and i tried out ubuntu in full scale with internet connectivity and everything. However, after this mess, i tried running Ubuntu 16.04LTS from the same Ubuntu Startup USB Disk which I used earlier on this machine - now it's not loading Ubuntu anymore - it's not letting me try Ubuntu, it's not installing Ubuntu - nothing. It's staying stuck on this screen forever.

2016-06-14.jpg 

Final notes:

- everything was fine before installing the BIOS upgrade
- i only installed the official BIOS upgrade that was pushed in by Acer Care Center.

- Why would an official BIOS upgrade cripple down the system like this?

- why are the boot devices not even showing up in UEFI boot mode?

- when using Legacy boot mode, why are the graphics settings showing my resolution is lower than 1280 x 900 ?

- i was able to try out Ubuntu 16.04 LTS via Ubuntu Startup Disk perfectly fine before installing this "supposedly" official upgrade, why am i not able to try out Ubuntu after this "supposedly" official upgrade?