Aspire V17 Nitro FPS drop

JasonGood
JasonGood Member Posts: 5 New User

All games I play, wether low or high graphic games, and regardless of settings, experience frequent frame drops, freezing the screen for 1-3 seconds. I can't figure out why, wiped my laptop and started over still the same issues as before. Graphics driver is up to date.

The games used to run fine on whatever settings i wanted. Is it safe to assume my GPU is toast? Anyone have any reliable methods of checking it. Been on google for hours and hours, tried things like FurMark, GPU-Z & Heart Engine but I'm not experianced using such tools, they all seemed to perform their tests without issue. Still got it under 1st year protection so tempting to run it into Curry's if I can't find a solution online.

Thanks for any help

Best Answer

• Bozzy
    Bozzy Member Posts: 44

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Follow the below Youtube vid, but at the end, where he says disable both features, make sure the HDD is selected, and the top (acoustic) one will be greyed out, but the bottom one have enabled, and the slider all the way right to (FEh) which is maximum performance..... 

Youtube Linky

And yes, unfortunately it needs to be run at all time. The drive reverts back on any power cycles.

Answers

• Bozzy

Tinkerer

Do you have an SSD and a hard drive?

I had that issue, and it's the rubbish WD blue hard disk Acer use as the data drive. Spins down every 15 to 20 seconds and if you have anything 'touching files' it to read, it hangs the PC while is spins up (all my games are installed on it).

Unfortunately you can't write to the drive bios, so I use Crystaldiskinfo to start with windows and to set the advanced Power Management to FEh (always on)

• JasonGood

I do have an SSD and HD, I'm installing a game on my SSD now to confirm if its the same issue.

If that's the case I'll check out crystaldiskinfo and see if that helps, thanks.

• Bozzy

Tinkerer

When you do, go into device manager and dissable the HDD, just in case anything tries to access it, then do your test and re-enable it after.

Either that or just install crystaldiskinfo and see if it helps.

My drive is a Western Digital WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0 1TB. Quiet, nippy but flawed.....

• JasonGood

A short test and seems to be working fine again, just testing a moment longer to be sure.

I have the same drive, and yeah it seems like it is flawed but if this software makes it operate better no need to replace it i guess.

Going to grab hold of crystaldiskinfo now

• JasonGood

not sure if I have the software working correctly as I'm still getting the frame issues for games on that drive.

You've been very helpful isolating the problem at least and I may take it in store and insist on a new drive, any chance I can ask for a brief step-by-step on how to set up the software correctly? I actually feel like I've set it up correctly but...do I need to keep it active and minimized? Either way, thanks for the help you've already given and anymore you can give Smiley Happy

• Bozzy

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Follow the below Youtube vid, but at the end, where he says disable both features, make sure the HDD is selected, and the top (acoustic) one will be greyed out, but the bottom one have enabled, and the slider all the way right to (FEh) which is maximum performance..... 

Youtube Linky

And yes, unfortunately it needs to be run at all time. The drive reverts back on any power cycles.

• JasonGood

Ok yeah I had set it up correctly then I just didn't leave the software running, silly mistake Smiley Tongue

Tyvm for the help!