Aspire V15 Nitro - video driver problems

Options
c10b
c10b Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi, I get a lot of video driver crashes. So I went to nvidia to download the latest driver to be sure to be up to date.

But the nvidia installer says that the driver can't be installed because my laptop uses a custom version!

Why is this? Why do Acer prevent me from adding the official nvidia driver?

Do I really have to wait for Acer to deliver the updates?

How long after nvidia release updadtes will they take to get to me via Acer?

What's this all about - what has been the benefit of this "custom" version?

A bit frustrated and am hoping for some answers and some guidance please.

Many thanks

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There is a setting to block automatic drivers update but i'm from my smartphone now, do a google and you will find it.
    Also have a look at C:/nvidia normally installation packagea are there, delete them.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

uninstall the installed "custom" nvidia drivers and install the downloaded.

if you can't find the uninstaller on Programs and features, go to device manager, click on Display adapters, right click on nvidia graphic adapater and choose to uninstall, tick to uninstall software too.

reboot and then install the nvidia downloaded drivers.

• c10b
    Options

Hi, I have indeed tried this sequence but get the same message. There's a chance of course that I did it wrong, but as far as I know I did exactly as you described.

• IronFly
    Options

that's pretty strange.....

• c10b
    Options

If you're confident it's a valid solution then I'll try again later this evening.

If it's a wild stab in the dark then I won't ;-)

• IronFly
    Options

this normally works even on the latest Predator laptop serie, so i'm confident it will work.

Please do it without any data connection, if you are using windows 10, it will prevent to re-install the custom drivers.

• c10b
    Options

I think you're right - I recall Win10 appearing to reinstall something automatically.

Sometimes automation is a PIA.

I'll let you know how I get on - thanks for your help :-)

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There is a setting to block automatic drivers update but i'm from my smartphone now, do a google and you will find it.
    Also have a look at C:/nvidia normally installation packagea are there, delete them.
  • c10b
    Options

OK - for anyone else following this thread, this is what I did following the good advice given above...

1) On win10, google how to disable driver updates. This is an essential step!

2) Use the device managed to find the driver to uninstall and uninstall it

3) (maybe reboot here to be sure, and check in device manager that the driver is definitely gone)

4) Install the new driver

5) (it didn't ask for a reboot, but I rebooted anyway)

6) The first time I ran photoshop I got blue screen of death! Some searching showed that I needed to change the startup options to use the nvidia driver (right click the shortcut to photoshop and poke around in there). So far this seems to have solved the problem

I don't know yet if this will solve the random driver crashing I was having previously - I'll report back later.